Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:44:10 -0800 (PST)
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Need A Checklist...

So Stu Schwartz says: > I am ready to "stock" my westy for traveling/light camping. I was wondering if anyone > had some electronic "checklists" of things they keep in the van all the time and those > they "add" prior to taking a trip. I used to have some of these lists years ago but > alas...they have gone to the bitbucket. > >

Okay, I'll post it to this list too.... ;)

Okay, back by semi-popular demand, here is my list of travel essentials. Actually, I used to keep most of this stuff in my '68 bug when I had it. I had one gentleman exclaim, "I don't need all this stuff! I've got a cell phone!" That's fine and dandy, but you still have to pay the tow truck driver unless you have AAA, which is fine and dandy too, but don't you really want to continue your trip and just get the problem fixed ASAP? The cell phone/AAA Card only method means that you know nothing or almost nothing about your car and it's going to cost you a fortune in time and lost time on your trip. So for those of you with the know-how and "I don't need a stinkin' tow" attitude, here is a list of stuff you can keep in your VW to "make it so":

Jumper Cables - Don't leave home without em'. Sockett Set - Misc. bolt tightening. Wrench set - Misc. bolt tightening. pliers and crecent wrench - Various tighting/bending jobs. Screwdrives flat & phillips & allen - tighting misc. screws. Duct Tape - Wrap hoses, seal holes. electrical tape - Ad hoc wire fixing. Solderless connectors - I keep a box these that come in various sizes and uses. Doesn't take much room and is a better fix than electrical tape. Wire cutters/strippers for wire. spare auto wire - For testing or replacement. wheel bearing grease - Various wheel maintenance brake fluid - Low brake fluid. matches/lighter - If its cold and you need a light. toilet paper - Need you ask? Rope - Emergency pulling, holding up things etc. walking shoes - It could be a long walk. hat - Keeps the rain or sun off when your walking. Jacket - It gets cold sometimes. Spare belts - You won't have to wait for the garage to order them. (sometimes it takes days) Good Spare tire (fully inflated) - Nothin' like a useless spare to ruin your day Make sure your jack works. Grease it. - Changing a tire is hard enough already. Change your oil, oil filter and fuel filter - Start out right. Carry 2 - 4 quarts extra oil. - In case you lose your oil for any reason. Have a tune-up done or do it yourself. - Good way to catch any problems. align and balance the tires. - So you don't rattle your nerves. ;) Have the headlights aimed (With the car loaded) - Mis-aimed lights are annoying and don't help you see much. flashlight + spare batteries - You don't want to be in the dark. A second flashlight. - In case the first don't work. Sleeping bag. - It gets mighty cold at night. Gallon Jug of drinking water - You could get thirsty or worse dehydrated. First Aid Kit - Always bailing wire - To hold things together. lug wrench - To remove wheels. 3' of pipe to put over lug wrench to loosen stubborn bolts. food: granola bars and such. - You always get hungry when your stuck somewhere Liquid Wrench - For those tough bolts. WD-40 - Gets the grease off. Spare fuses - Always have them. Spare bulbs - Various ones for all the lights in your car. Spare cash - Some people don't take credit cards or checks. Waterless hand soap - To get the grease off your hands. Book to read - To pass the time while you're waiting for the tow truck. (or waiting for someone else to go get a tow truck) Or you could read the manual for your car and find out the things you should have been doing for it. Battery Terminal cleaner thingy - You know, the one with the wires in the doo-hickey. Paper towels - There nice for cleaning up. Small tarp - To put on the ground so you don't get too dirty. Grubby cloths - To get dirty in. Rags - To wipe off things on the car. Gloves - For things to hot to handle. Also for heavy duty stuff.

Air-cooled specifics:

Spare clutch cable Spare accelerator cable Spare fan belt Spark plugs, points, condensor, rotor, cap, coil, head cover gaskets. Spare nuts and bolts for your car. Get em' at the junk yard.

If you're going to Mexico:

Bring any spare fuel-injection parts you can afford and carry. This may include stuff from the junk yard that you know works. You can check it by swapping out the part from your car and trying it out. Mexico is not going to have replacement parts for your fuel-injection.

Bring a 5 gallon Jerry can and keep it filled with gas so you don't run out.

One more thing. If you're on a long trip in the U.S., I think that one of the better Travel Club membership cards with road side assistance & towing is worth the money. Sometimes you have to throw in the towel and get towed. I just joined the AAA membership plus and have heard that it *does* come in handy. I will still try to fix what I can as I don't like to wait for a tow truck.

Have confidence in yourself and learn how to fix most problems with your car. Better yet, keep it in good shape so it doesn't have unexpected problems.

Cheers!

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com