Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:07:43 +1100
From:         redwood@speedlink.com (redwood)
Subject:      87 poptop seal replacement *questions*

I've got the seal [thanks, Ron Salmon], and replacement looks pretty straightforward, *except* for what to do wrt damage done by the po. When the previous [and current] seal began to sag, lacking either respect for his Westi or the wonderful resources of this list, he improvised by employing *sheet metal screws* every foot or so, all the way around!

It looks terrible, sagging between each pair of screws, plus there is an accumulation of CRUD wherever the edge is visible---looks like maybe some adhesive residue, plus other debris. In addition, of course, when i take the screws out, there will be holes left behind.

I'm considering waiting for a sunny weekend and:

1. removing the screws 2. lifting the top a couple of inches and removing the screws and old seal, then

3. working my way around the edge, doing my best to remove the crud from the edge of the fiberglass, using, maybe, a *stiff brush* and some cleaning compound/s...

===> SUGGESTIONS?

4. then, i'll lift the top, and i imagine there'll be considerable residue left where the top rests, and the canvas is attached.

I could then, maybe, take a softer brush to that, and carefully scrub all the way around, using something that wouldn't harm the canvas...

===> SUGGESTIONS?

5. when it's reasonably---or must it be *thoroughly*?---clean, i'll hose down the "channel" where the top/seal rests, and let it dry for several hours

6. finally, apply the new seal, probably using clear silicone gel

**QUESTION: Is there a need to do anything about the screw holes?

**ISSUE: I need to avoid *any* type of cleaner, solvent or adhesive that would produce FUMES [am disabled d/t respiratory problems, which also limits upper body strength]

Anything I'm overlooking? Alternative strategies? Precautions? All suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gail [looking forward to her 1st CCCs camping trip at Pinnacles Nat'l Monument]

Gail Fitzpatrick '87 GL Westi Sacramento, CA <redwood@speedlink.com>