Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:40:14 -0500
From:         Leavitt <mleavitt@tiac.net>
Subject:      '81 Westy Deep-cycle/group 41 combo Q's

Hello. I have equipped my '81 Westy with an Eveready Premium marine deep-cycle and starting battery (850 MCA, 120 Amp Hours) oohaah! I have it hooked up to the (pathetically inadequate) 65 amp alternator by way of a dual battery isolator. I can now monitor the charge of *both* batteries with the LEDs on the stove panel, because I replaced the SPST micro-mini switch with an SPDT with a center 'off' position. (BTW nobody seems to supply these anymore, so you have to modify an SPDT to have an 'off', e-mail me if you want to know how) I've noticed that while driving, the main battery (the group 41, which is brand new) is not charging fully. It's LED remains on yellow most of the time. I suspect that the 'el cheapo' isolator has too high a resistance for the (pathetically inadequate) 65 amp alternator to overcome sufficiently in order to charge both batteries. Believing this to be true, I rushed out and purchased one of those fat relays that links both batteries together only after you turn on the ignition.

Okay here are the questions...[drumroll]

I am concerned that the real problem is that the two batteries are too different in their respective resistance's to charge equally. So the greedy deep-cycle battery is hogging all the charge and not leaving any for poor Mr. Group 41! #1-Is this a factor in my dilemma? #2-Do they sell and isolator that provides an appropriate charge to each battery depending in what type it is, eg. deep-cycle/group 41? (sorta like those master cylinders made for cars with front disc and rear drum?)

I also figured that in order to prevent the deep-cycle battery from sharing in the burden of cranking over the engine, I would find a place to connect the relay that only becomes 'hot' after the engine is running. I believe that the wipers go off and possibly the headlights too, I'll have to check. #3-Does any one want to save me the time of searching and tell me the approximate location the relay that does that neat trick of temporarily shutting off the wipers and lights? I noticed a 'load reduction relay' in the WISE AND POWERFULL BENTLY MANUAL's wiring diagrams, is that the one that I seek?? Please don't make me look at those wiring diagrams anymore, they make my head hurt!! ;)

Is there anything that I'm overloo...no, let me rephrase that...what am I overlooking?

Oh, and yes, I am aware of the kit that boosts the output of the stock alternator by leaps and bounds, but I don't wish to spend the $125 to get one. Well, not unless I have too...

Thanks in advance, during, and after.

Noel Leavitt <mleavitt@tiac.net> VOLKSWAGEN

1937--1997

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life!" -Doctor Emilio Lizardo/Lord John Whorfin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~