Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:19:40 -0800 (PST)
From:         dfuller@jeeves.ucsd.edu (Danny Fuller)
Subject:      Re: Antifreeze Propblem Solved

Just for the record, I have , through ignorance, mixed both types of Prestone. The only ill effect I have noticed is that when you mix the green stuff with the orange, you get a brownish liquid, which kind of looks like what was in the cooling system when the van was new.

My van is a '90 Carat with maybe 160K miles on it (can't say for sure 'cause the odometer was busted for a couple of years). I never changed the coolant until 1994, because I was too busy figuring out why the auto transmission kept breaking. I finally did change it (Prestone green) when the water pump froze, although I took no particular pains to flush out the remaining Autobahn stuff. In 1995, the first of the many hoses blew, at which time I refilled with Prestone orange (PO4-free).

In 1996, at about 140K miles, I started getting the infamous head leak, at which time I threw in some Alumaseal. The leak stopped immediately. The engine still ran. The heater still worked. The world didn't end. I ran this "stew" of coolant until about a month ago, when I had to replace the water pump again. This time I flushed it out, refilled with Prestone green, and am living with a leak of maybe a tablespoon of coolant every other day.

Observations: I don't think it matters what you run in the radiator, as long as the system is bled well. This van has gone more miles than any other car I have ever owned (except maybe my dear departed '61 Corvair). Sure it leaks a little from the heads, at 160K, but so do the heads on vans that have nothing but Autobahn put in every two years. My opinion is that these are extremely durable and forgiving machines, so don't worry so much.

Dan Fuller '90 Carat '63 Bug '95 BMW 318IC