Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 03 Mar 1997 11:40:28 -0500
From:         "Rodney L. Boleyn" <boleyn@scr.siemens.com>
Subject:      Correct thermostat for 78 type-IV bus ???

The thermostat on my 78 bus (2000cc type IV, AFC, M/T) has a big hole corroded in the side of it, and the thermostat cable hangs loose, with the flaps held open by the spring. I put it on my list of things to get around to, and recently I ordered a new thermostat from the VWoA dealer.

Before removing the old one and installing the new, I thought I would perform the "pan of hot water" test described in Bentley and Haynes. Both books state that the minimum length of the thermostat should be 46mm (1-13/16") at a temperature between 65-70'C.

I did the test using a candy thermometer, but the brand-new thermostat as supplied by VWoA did not expand one whit at 65-70'C. I noticed, however, that the thermostat itself is stamped 85-90'C. So I turned the heat back on under my pan of water and let it get hotter. Sure enough, around 80'C, the thermostat started to expand noticably, and by 85'C, it had reached the requisite 1-13/16".

Now my questions:

1) The thermostat is a Wahler 1106.85. Is this the correct thermostat for my bus, or did VWoA supply me the wrong part?

2) Is the thermostat I received defective, since it doesn't pass Bentley's 65-70'C test? Or...

3) Is Bentley wrong on this point? It makes sense that an 85-90'C thermostat would "open" around 85'C.

4) Would you install this thermostat on your bus?

Thanks a million, Rodney