Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:46:36 -0800
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      pinnacles food, etc.

If any of you would like me to add you to the separate camping list, let me know.

--

Food stuff at the end of this post. First, the attendees. Please advise if there's changes, as we need a REALLY accurate vehicle count for this event.

Here's who's definitely confirmed:

Malcolm + Molli Holser + 2 kids Martha Rubin + 1 kid Charlie Ford Jeff Feldstein Ron Lussier + Dan Greening Ruth + her son (friend of Ron's) Bradley Prunehead Dave + Francesca Kautz + 3 kids Gail Fitzpatrick Jed Gillin Bren Smith + Charlene William Just aka rasta bill (Sat nite only) Michael Wagner + family Dan + Kathy Belick + baby Russ Otey + family (probably Sat. nite) John + Carol + Jill Hugenard Jack Stafford + 30W stout Al Hubbard

--

Here's who's up in the air or not answered:

Johnsons? Kathy and Mark Al Knoll scott and alice harvey/ovanesian Dave Catchpole robert c (snowcrest) Chris catchone@ix.netcom.com moseley Bob Aldrich Craig Stanley and GF

-- -- --

Food stuff: in the beginning, we tried to organize this down to the last detail and invariably had flubs ups waiting for someone to bring a crucial ingredient for something, only to find out later they'd decided not to shop up and hadn't bothered to let anyone know. Things have gotten a lot more relaxed since those days. :)

Basially, we do evening meals potluck, also breakfast, and lunch is on your own, since many are out hiking, etc. Breakfast can be tricky, since not everyone wakes up at the same time. For the extra early or late, things like muffins, etc. seem to work well.

If you have a dietary restriction, it's best to bring your own. Beyond that, we all sort of eat anything, although planning around a "theme" in the past has been a nice thing. Rather than an ethnic designation this time, I propose that we get creative and bring things in galactical shapes: moons, stars, etc. Please don't everyone bring hamburgers. :) Anyway, it's easiest if you sign up for the same TYPE of dish both nights (like one kind of salad the first nite, and another type the second nite, etc.). Finger foods are especially appreciated, as we're not always very organized about sitting down and eating at the same time, though we do try at times. Basic categores could be: entrees, salads, fruit, appetizers, veggies, desserts, breads, etc., but the sky is the limit.

If you'll e-mail me what type of dish you plan to bring, I'll try to steer things towards being balanced as much as possible. High points for home-made, unusual cuisine. Bring a LOT to share; somehow we all see to get more hungry more often when outside. Homebrew is especially prized. So let me know what inspires you.

Foremost, you need to start gathering and packing two things we never seem to have enuff of (will try to post more soon on suggested other things to pack):

firewood (bring double what you think you should ice oh, and additional things: folding chairs, and sun screen.

For those of you planning to bring dogs, I'm told this could be tricky - please call pinnacles and ask ahead of time. If you need the number, e-mail me privately, and I'll dig it up for you.

We'll have many newbies on this trip. For them, especially, bring anything magnesium you may have to burn (or just other weird stuff). We'll explain later. :)

/martha