Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 97 14:02:50 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Dead Bus Report

Hey all, I don't think either Steve or John are too interested in posting a trip report about this weekend, so I'll do my best.

John Anderson had bought a '73 Bus from, coincidentally, the brother of the PO of my '81. He paid $350 and knew the Bus was pretty much junk but was hoping to recover his investment by scavenging parts before sending the Bus to the crusher. John and Steven Dolan got together and planned to do the deed on Steve's father's property in Springfield, VA. John then drafted me on Transporter Talk and a few days before, we also drafted Tom Draffen, a new listmember and also new to VWs. We found him on Transporter Talk and he was eager to learn about his new '78 (which, BTW, is VERY VERY nice and he got for $50 -- does need an engine seal like RIGHT NOW tho).

So, the van was purchased by John, sight unseen, as John lives in WV and the van was in Baltimore MD. On Saturday morning, he and Steve drove up to Baltimore in John's '81 (every panel hit except the driver's door) Westy :-) . They got a towtruck driver to pick up the Bus and tow it to Springfield and called me before they left Baltimore. I then called Tom and hit the road. Tom met me at a rest stop and then we convoyed to Steve's place and waited. We were only there for about 10-15 minutes when John drove up in his '81 and a couple minutes later, the flatbed tow truck drove up with a very very very decrepit '73 on the back. We got the van unloaded and pushed it into position (thank God it rolled -- in fact the brakes were very scary) with the ass-end in the garage so we could drop the engine.

Steve is interested in the '73 transmission because he has a '73 Westy which has a transmission from a later Bus in it. The later trans is an inch longer than the '73 trans, and so causes all kinds of shifting problems for Steve. He was also interested in the heads and possibly the engine if it was any good. John pretty much claimed everything else and Tom got some misc. stuff. I didn't get anything because I don't have a bay window Bus. I did take home the single Beetle-engine valve that was sitting in the Bus, why it was there I don't know, but it will make a nice paperweight.

Anyway, I started taking things off the front of the Bus while the others began disassembling the rear for engine/tranny removal. I removed the wiper arms, headlight buckets, turn signal lenses, bumper, etc off the front while in back they removed the rear engine lid (which was hanging on by one hinge -- Tom employed the "brute force" method to remove the other one by twisting the door until the other hinge broke). We were not too concerned with body damage :-) . Then Steve got some surprisingly nice rear light housings and lenses from the back while I took most of the switches out of the dashboard. The rear interior of the Bus was inexplicably missing, so that was less work to do.

Then, John, Steve and Tom began engine disassembly while I continued my front work. They took off the baby Dellorto carbs and linkage and most of the other things holding the engine to the body.

The idea here was to take the engine and transmission out together and then split them later. It came time to lower the engine so out came the floor jacks. We lowered the engine and tranny only to find that we left the backup light fuse holder and the shift rod connected. Whoops! Raised the engine back up and tried again, only to find that we had to go back up for such things as the tranny ground strap, clutch cable, and accelerator cable. You'll notice we did not use the manual :-) . Then we lowered the engine once more only to find that it would not clear the bumper. Steve then informed us that the first thing to do for engien removal is take off the bumper. Thanks Steve! ;-) With the bumper finally removed, the engine slid right out, at which point we pushed the Bus out of the garage so we could close the door and go get some dinner! We went to Generous George's and had some goooooood stuff.

Tom went home, John went to visit some friends and I camped out in the Westy behind Steve's place (gotta prepare for the Kiptopeke trip). We stayed up late going through the Bentley and Haynes manuals and discussing vacuum advance, transmission gear ratios, and radio DJ-ing. We did find some weirdness on the Bus which was explained by the Bentley. Under the Bus, someone noted that it had "two back-up light switches." We all thought that was odd. We also noticed a strange canister mounted near the roof of the engine compartment by the heater blower fan. We didn't know what it was, except that it had electrical and vacuum connections.

Studying the Bentley that night, Steve and I came upon a very strange presumably emissions-related bit of weirdness. Apparently, the dual carb Type 4 engines on Buses have a rather weird timing advance system. Vacuum advance is shut off UNLESS the ambient temperature is above 54 degrees F AND the Bus is in 4th gear. SO, the "extra back-up light switch" was really the 4th gear sensor for this goofy system and that strange canister was the vacuum advance cut-off valve. We also noticed that the thing was supposed to be timed at 10 degrees ATDC at idle, so we imagined that this was one SLOW Bus.

Anyway, Sunday morning we started at about 9:00 and the first order of business was to elevate the engine to drain the oil. We used jack stands under the bearer bar and an old tire and a couple blocks of wood under the tranny. Then I proceeded to drain the "oil." I say "oil" because this stuff was oil in color only. When I opened the drain plug, the stuff that ran out had the viscosity of water and reeked STRONGLY of gasoline, which it basically was. Apparently the PO had some problem where a lot of gas got into the engine. YEAH, I GUESS! There was a LOT of gas in there. It was really horrible. At that point, we figured that this engine was probably nothing more than a core.

So, we decided to strip the engien a bit and see just how worthless it really was. First we wanted to crank it, so John and Steve went and bought some el-cheapo oil and brought a battery so we could use the starter. The solenoid, however, didn't want to engage, so we shorted the starter and the motor ran fine. We removed the solenoid and tried to work it manually, but that didnt' work too well. After a bit of jerking around with this, Steve got out the big wrench and attempted to turn the engine using the alternator pulley nut. Well, it wasn't much of a surprise to learn that this engine was SEIZED.

So, now it was engine-stripping time. Off came the tin, exhaust, alternator, and fan housing. When opening the valve covers we were confronted with rust on the INSIDE of the valve covers. Uh-oh. There were also some rusty valve springs, presumably due to the gas in the engine. But when the heads were pulled, they were in surprisingly good shape and will make nice cores for Steve. The Ps&Cs however were not as pretty. The pistons were rusted to the cylinder walls and no amount of tapping/banging would set them free, so we left it at that. We then split the engine and tranny and hopefully the tranny will be serviceable for Steve. We then set on the interior of the Bus like vultures and removed EVERYTHING. Front seats, all the glass, the entire dashboard, all the electrics, John got a nice Hurst shifter, turn signal reflector buckets, doors, John even took the plastic parts from the ends of the fresh air box. This Bus was COMPLETELY empty when we were done. Steve had wanted the front beam but inspection showed it to be rusty and unsafe for installation on a Bus. Steve and John did go after the steering box however, and finally got it after a LONG time :-) .

While Steve and John were working on the steering box, two teenager-filled Hondas pulled up to watch our progress. These were your typical high-school alterna-hippie-wannabes. Most insightful quote of the day: "We saw you working on the Buses and we thought that was cool. Heh heh."

Anyway, they came and looked around but thankfully left before too long, putting away in their Hondas.

After the steering box removal, the rest of the time was spent cleaning up and separating the good parts from the junk. I took lots of photos of our work, especially some of the nasty terminal rust on this Bus. As soon is the roll is finished I will get them developed and hopefully scanned. Tom left us soon after the clean-up but Steve and John and I went to Generous George's again (this is good stuff, folks) and then I headed home. I was TIRED and slept very well last night.

A productive weekend.

Sean -- ***************************************************************** Sean Bartnik "Life is tough, sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu but it's tougher if you're stupid." '81 Vanagon Westy --John Wayne

Fahrvergnugen really means "push harder."