Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:23:21 PST
From:         roy@juno.com (Roy I Mathers)
Subject:      Re: Alloy Wheels

Kenyon;

You should really check out those" look alike" "MERCEDES WHEELS" prior to selling them or buying them as you are attempting to do, They are not as solid, nor as sturdy, nor do they resemble the FACTORY VW ALLOY WHEEL BUILT FOR THE VANS,the lug nuts are not safely mountable as they do not fit the concave of the rim, and if you do still attempt to use these wheels on your vans, make sure you get a lug wrench or tool that will fit the nut on the wheel in the event you have to change a wheel, also when you have 15"tires mounted on 15"wheels you need to consider the shortening of the turning radius and the bottoming out onto the larger tire and wheel,because unless you raise the front and rear you have certainly lost circumference room and risk citting into the tire causing a blowout,I speak from experience and of course this is OMHO,

Good Luck, Roy On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:58:23 -0600 KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@oit.umass.edu> writes: >Lloyd - > >You asked: > >> >> Does anyone know which alloy wheels by other manufacturers work on >> vanagons. I have seen pictures of vanagons with Audi rims: which >ones >> are these? The vanagon alloys are difficult to obtain at a >reasonable >> price. Many thanks >> Lloyd Perkins dad@together.net >> > >Go to the Tirerack and check out the Borbet Replica II wheels: > >http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/borbet/bo_rep2.htm > >These "Mercedes only" wheels are supposed to be a direct match for the >Westy. > >Kyle Wade > Keeper of the volks-motorsports page > www.volks-motorsports.com home page > Pengi@cruzio.com > >Has told me that he has installed these wheels on a Vanagon and that >they are >strong and look great. I am considering them for my '91 Westy. > >They take a "low profile" tire, 205/65 R15 which is supposed to result >in an >overall gain of .2 inches in total wheel/tire diameter. This >supposedly >provides an accurate Odometer reading. > >Kyle recommends a reinforced tire on these. I am having a little >trouble >getting the straight scoop on appropriate tires. > >Michelin MXV Energy tires is what Tirerack recommended. These are a 94 >H rated >tire. That's 1477 lbs/wheel at 130 mph. They are a max 44 psi rated >tire. > >This is a summation of what I have found over the past 2 weeks. > >Kenyon >-- > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant >Professor > Head, Help Desk Services & Human Dimensions of Resource >Management > Software Support Department of >Forestry & > Office of Information Technologies Wildlife >Management > - - - - - - - - - - - - > - > A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- >KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU > University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 > > Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203 > > >