Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 1997 02:22:10 -0600 (CST)
From:         Austin <austins@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: Antifreeze Propblem Solved

At 01:25 AM 3/17/97 -0600, you wrote:

>>It is highly possible we have some "newer" >>stuff here in the Houston area as about 99% of all this mess is made >>within shouting distance of the Houston Ship Channel. The coolant I >>investigated was supposed to last 7 years or 70,000 miles with no > >That is clearly different than the "460" Prestone I have here. 4 years, 60K >miles. > >Regards, >Jim Davis >

Hi volks...

The (orange) Prestone I've switched to is listed as 5/100 (!) - 5 years, 100k miles; states on the container that it is "silicate and phosphate free; add to any antifreeze including DEX-COOL" (which is GM's in-house anti-freeze).

As an aside - I've been doing a long term coolant and power steering change as follows; every 3/4 thou I suck the pressure & expansion tanks dry & refill them with new pre-mix (5/100 above - takes almost 1 gal. to fill both tanks). I realize I'll never attain 100% fresh coolant, but you never do anyway with the 'factory' procedure, plus I never have to worry about bleeding/bubbles/accidental overheating (& I'm not concerned ref. flushing as I wouldn't run caustic cleaners in any case). As I wrote I've also been doing the power steering the same way; first time I replaced the filter & O-ring, & I've been using Valvoline semi-synthetic to refill the resevoir. (sucker pumps are @ FLAPs for ~ $5-6).

Any comments - ie, am I doing something *really* stoopid; seems to be working so far.....

Austin