Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 1997 07:06:19 -0500
From:         JonR <jonreed@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: About the Soto Bashing....

I agree Wholeheartedly!!!

unfortunately SOTO is Dave Heard...

We're having a similiar, but different problem here in NH..

Our Former Club President Bill Collins(not the listee) has decided to form his own club exclusively for -'57 Beetles that are driven 1500 or more a year... He has taken with him all but one of our old Club officers. Then ( as he is still a member of the NH club) he shows up at our monthly meetings and dictates thru "popular" vote what we should be doing as a club ( all the while saying how he doesn't want to run the club...). He can do this because of the fact that he has been in the Vintage VW scene for so long,( he is a multi-year Past President of VVWCCA, along with Bill Pickering founder of VVWCCA) that most New club members take his word as Gospel... He continually makes comments 'bout how "anything past '67 is suspect, and Busses don't count either...". As we're in the midst of planning for our Summer show, he said we should drop the Water-cooled classes as "They're not really Vintage VWs anyway...". That was one idea shot down VERY quickly..!

Yes, he has some nice cars ( 2 Hebs, the '67(Franklin Mint) KG coupe, and a mint '62 'Vert), but why does he feel he has to tell Everyone what VWs they must own and cherish... He is a "Purist" in the worst sense of the word... He is very vocal in his belief that "Splits & Ovals" are the only VWs worth taking care of...

With all the Legislation before State and Federal governments these days we can't afford to "divide" our support of ALL VWs into snooty little splinter groups... If we do, we all lose!!

Thanx for Listening to my concerns...

JonR