Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:51:55 -0900 (AKST)
From:         Chris Wyatt <cwyatt@gi.alaska.edu>
Subject:      5w30 synthetic oil... replies

Last week I asked about the upper temperature range at which I could safely run Mobil-1 5w30 in my Vanagon. Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I gather that there is no consensus on this subject. Some of the replies are below. Recommendations range from "use it all year" to "avoid it for any long trips regardless of air temp". I will probably be safe and go with the 10w30; it pours at -59oF or so anyway. When the manual says 5w30 not above 15oF, but 10w30 not below 0oF, that does not leave much room for the weather we are having now (-15oF to 25oF). But I find the spectrum of advice interesting! Perhaps changing it regularly is heaps more important than getting the viscosity exact...

Cheers,

Chris Wyatt '87 Syncro GL Fairbanks, Alaska

******** check the manual, not very high by my memory, like <45-50F. Easiest check is to wait for the valve lifters to clatter a bit and the oil buzzer to sound after a hot run. I change to 5W30 in late fall, use 10W40 to top up with as winter wears on(off?). Then in late spring change over to 20W50. If I woz smart I'd buy some Mob-1 5W50 and be done. ******** My Bentley says 5W30 up to 15F, 10W30 from 0F up to 60F, 15W50 from 5F up and 20W50 from 15F.I run Mobil 1 15W50 all year round, my lowest being about -20F. ******** I once talked to a Mobil 1 distributor about this. He said 5W30 is all that I needed and I could run it year-round in Colorado. Did not recommend 10W30 or 15W50 for a new Vanagon. Apparently it's the cold starts that cause the most ring wear. Synthetic oil does not break down at high temps as easily as the conventional petroleum stuff. However, if you have ring wear then you might want to start using a thicker grade to slow the consumption. So I've been using Mobil 1 5W30 for 10 years now, since the first oil change, and compression is still good at 107K miles. ******** Check your owners manual. I use the 15w-50 all year here in New York. The 10-30 should be good down to -30. How much colder than that does it get? I would avoid the 5w-30 for any long trips regardless of outside temp as the oil will always get at least as hot as the water temp. **********