Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 1997 05:39:41 -0500
From:         Leavitt <mleavitt@tiac.net>
Subject:      Re: Sliding Door, 86 Westy

Blair Webster wrote: > > I don't want to convert my slider to a hinged model BUT I have a problem > closing the darn thing, predominately in cold weather. It slides ok but will > not latch properly (normally when the temp. is below freezing, of course). > Just about lost the dog the other day going down the highway... > I've cleaned and lubed the tracks and lathes but it doesn't seem to help > that much. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

It sounds to me like the gasket is the problem. The rubber can get stiff in cold weather and cause the door to bounce back and/or not latch fully. I find that the best way to make sure that it's fully closed it to push on the left side near the hinge from the outside or pull the right side when inside (my '81 has an extra handle there). You can usually hear a solid click when you push there on a door that's not closed fully. I'm not sure of any permanent way to make the door seat better on the gasket other than to re-adjust it with the screws on the 3 hinges and 2 latches. It can either be a long involved process of trial and error adjustments until it closes easily and is straight with the chassis or it could be just a tiny hair off. Also make sure that the gasket is tucked into it's channel all the way around.

Personally I'd like to replace my slider with a rear hatch type door that swings upwards so I could have a super strong wind-proof awning every time I opened the door! ;)

Noel VOLKSWAGEN

1937--1997