Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 97 11:23:21 PST
From:         Al Knoll <alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com>
Subject:      RE: UniLaredos, Yoko 370G LT etc.

In the realm of tire selection you need to know how much your van weighs on a per wheel basis. Not what it says in books or on various stickers but what it weighs loaded as you use it. If you carry spare anvils, chainsaws, bridge timbers or such you need to factor that into the weight. Best way to do this is to visit a public farmers scale and simply weigh the rascal loaded with people and stuff and gas and water and dogs and kids and...

Then you'll know exactly what the ground pressure requirements for front and rear really are. Now start looking for tires.

If you have a westie syncro and you carry more than your credit card and a package of ramen for your outings you may be surprised to learn that the rear wheels support slightly more than 2900 lbs. An easy division gives you the load of ~1500lbs per wheel.

If the tire you own is rated at 1400 lbs per wheel at max (MAX..Get it) you are under tired and potentially in jeopardy of tire failure.

If I recall, the UniLaredo is rated at 1325lbs max per wheel.

The Y370G is rated 1710 lbs /wheel @ 65psi.

I returned my laredos to Price/Costco with regrets as they were otherwise an acceptable tire. The Y370Gs are head and shoulders a better handling tire for MY purposes (snow, offroad, loaded transport).

If you're hauling across US50 outside of Austin NV on a downgrade loaded in summer temperatures and you lose a rear tire, the $150 you might have saved won't even pay the towing charge.

For my nickel, I'd rather have a little extra margin and YMMWCV.

>From the yoko spec:

Yokohama Part No: 37047 Part No: LT195/75R14 8 Y370 XL OE BTL TL Unit weight 23.10 Tread Depth 11 Tread Width 5.3 Ply rating 8 Load Range D Measured Rim size 6 Alternate rim size 5.0-6.0 Inflated overall width 8.1 Inflated overall diameter 25.6 Loaded Static Radius 11.9 Loaded Revolutions per mile 818 Mileage Warranty Miles 50,000 Warranty Type A

Load carrying capacity is 1710 lbs at 65 lbs of air pressure, 1530 lbs carrying capacity at 55 lbs of air pressure, and 1435 lbs of carrying capacity at 45 lbs of air pressure.

$77 ea mounted and balanced with free rotation etc. Americas Tire Store in Sacramento CA.

I run mine at 45/52. The stiff sidewall gives fine handling, much better than the simply overstressed Laredos IMNSHO.

Now LT tires are rated entirely differently than P (passenger car) tires and the yahoo who said the H or whatever rating on a P tire makes up for the load carrying capacity is misinformed. A vanagon westie is a truck insofar as the vehicle weight is concerned. I have no use for tires that will sustain 130MPH for hours. Nowhere to do that sort of thing out here and certainly not in a 2.1L WBX. Now a Range Panzer is another story (230BHP) 125MPH but I can't afford one. -- -- ___ / __ __/ ____/ Al Knoll HP Performance Technology / / / / / Center Roseville, CA, USA 95747 / _____/ / / 916.785.9453 (Telnet 785-9453) / / / / email: alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com / __/ __/ ______/ ___________________________________/