Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:34:35 -0800 (PST)
From:         Charles D Earl <cdearl@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject:      Larados or Yokos?

I have had Uniroyal Larados on my Westy for 35k, so far no problems, not even a flat. The PO had 2 new ones on the front when I bought it and I matched the rears, purchasing them at Costco (price was attractive, only $43. ea at the time).

That being said, I have been following this long tire thread and I have become convinced that the Yoko 370G's are the way to go. Mainly because of the higher load rating, also, the high marks for performance make them more tempting. I agree with those who put safety before price or other features. While its true that I have had no probs with the Larados I believe in prevention. Tires are critical. IMHO this is not about performance, looks, price, etc, this is about the safety of your passengers, other people on the road and yourself. Personally, I think that a high speed blowout in a loaded Vanagon is a much more serious situation compared to the average car on the road. The vehicle is tall and heavy with small wheels, I think it could roll fairly easily.

I have nothing bad to say about the Larados, they have served me well. However, if they do fail due to incorrect load rating, I may not be around to complain about it (or worse, someone else won't). Not being made of money I will disregard my own advice for another 10k or so to use the Laredos up, but when it is time for new tires I will buy a set with a load rating that *exceeds* the actual load that is put on them. I have enjoyed the bliss that ignorance provides, but now I know about the load ratings and have done the math. It looks like I will be paying an extra couple of hundred dollars or so for peace of mind, but thats exactly what it is, peace of mind.

My .02 cents worth (ok, .03 cents worth)

Charles '83.5 GL Westy