Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 06:48:12 -0500
From:         Leavitt <mleavitt@tiac.net>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon needs new tires

I hope that it's not too late for Harvey to take back his new Laredos, because I was wrong, they are not sufficient for heavily loaded Vanagons. I neglected to mention that since I've been using them I have regretfully run over 10 children, 15 nuns, 30 deer and a runaway meatball. Luckily no one was hurt except for the meatball. For safety's sake, not only am I trading in my Laredos for the top of the line, load range XX, unobtainium-reinforced, super heavy-duty radial truck tires, but I am also investing in: four-wheel anti-lock disk brakes, air bags for the OUTSIDE of my van, pedestrian detecting radar(1500 ft rad.), a dragster parachute, and a cow catcher for my bumper. I recommend that you and every other Vanagon driver out there (especially those that have been using passenger tires on V-gons for years without any problems, I won't name names, you know who you are) should do the same. You also might be interested in joining the major class-action suit against Uniroyal for their willful and irresponsible disregard for puplic safety. If so visit this website: http://www.save_the_children_from_uniroyal.com

Actually, on second thought...I think I'll just keep the Laredos. I really need that extra $150 dollars for that set of Franklin Mint Liberace Commemorative rhinestone hubcaps that I've been lusting after for my 'defective' '71 Ford Pinto.

Seriously volks, the Yoko's sound like an excellent alternative to being a 'menace to the roads'. I just wish that I could have afforded them. Like many people, I had to save up for a long time before I could afford my dream Westy, and it still needed a lot of work. Some people (myself included) have no choice but to make 'price' a major factor in the buying decision. At least I didn't install more passenger tires like the PO had done (I have to *assume* that they didn't hit any kids and I know the van wasn't rolled). I thought that I was doing the responsible thing by using the more expensive light truck tires even if they weren't the best ones out there. I guess that there will always be someone around to remind you that you aren't being safe *enough*.

I might also add (before the flaming begins) that at no time did I ever say that the Laredos themselves cause the van to handle badly or cause unusually bad stopping distances, and I have tested that on ocassion. Sure, I said that the Vanagon itself handles, I believe that my exact words were, "like and aircraft carrier", but that is only when compared to the average passenger cars. As vans go it fares quite well. Please don't suggest that your Vanagon handles like a formula 1 racecar because of your expensive tires, as this would be a far stretch of the imagination. However, I dare say that *my* Westy, equipped with the Laredos handles just fine for what it is, and has never inspired any fear that I am destined to have an accident as a result of bad handling or cheaper tires. On the tires themselves, I'll reiterate, "I like them." Soon I will take them x-country and I will be sure to give anyone who is interested an honest long-term assessment of their quality. If in my experience they fail to live up to the standards of decent tires, I will be the first to say it.

Just my $2/100 so flame away...but remember, it's Friday! Most of this was written with a high H-rating, as in 'humor'. :)

Noel VOLKSWAGEN _--````--_ / _--````--_ \ / / \ \ / / \ \ '81 Vanagon Westy | | \ \ \/ / / | | '68 Sunbug Autostick | |\ \ )--( / /| | (named Vana) | | \ \/ /\ \/ / | | (named Rachel) \ \_\ / \ /_/ / \ _``----``_ / ``----`` 1937--1997