Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:37:10 -0500
From:         "Richard Alexand Palmer" <rapalmer@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Check your work!!!!

Howdy all. This is a happy ending to a boneheaded move. The moral of this, and most bus stories is CHECK YOUR WORK CAREFULLY!!!! I posted earlier about how I had successfully replaced my starter, only to have my fuel pump die. I suspected the fuel pump because absolutely nothing was coming out of the pump, but there was some gas in the supply line. Well, I replaced the pump, and nothing...Began checking for clogged lines, blowing out each one, and nothing. tried blowing up into the line into the tank, and nothing. (Yes, I was VERY careful when doing this) Anyway, finally after 15 minutes of looking, I finally checked the line where it exits the tank. BINGO!!!! Here's what had happened- I have a manual '67 bus. However, I installed an automatic starter, so as to avoid the bushing and all that stuff. Well, the automatic starter is about an inch and a half longer than the original. With all the axles and heater hoses in the way, I hadn't noticed that the end of the new starter had pinched the fuel line where it exited the tank. Luckily, this happened safely at home, and I quickly remedied the situation. I guess I should have figured something was funny when it happened after I finished doing work on the bus, but I didn't... Anyway, just a reminder to always check carefully around everything you do, lest you pinch a fuel line, or wire, or something important. Safe wrenching to all!!!!!

-- ____________________________ Poor Richard is rapalmer@unity.ncsu.edu `/""""/""""/|""|'|""||""| '\ http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/r/rapalmer/www/ /____/____/ |__| |__||__| | '68 VW Crew Cab | \ /V\ /====================| '67 VW Camper-Nellie, the Wild Goose |()\ \W/ /()| _ _ |"I spend half my life explaining to Christians | \ / | / \ / \ | _-( ) why I'm a Deadhead, and the other =C========C==_| ) |--------| ) |=] _-{_}_) half explaining to Deadheads why \_\_/__.. \_\_/_ \_\_/ \_\_/__.__. I'm a Christian."