Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:22:33 -0500
From:         "John Graham" <johntandy@j3com.net>
Subject:      Westi Skylight Repair

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to your list. Just became a VW camper owner for the third time, so I guess I do have some idea of what I'm in for. I've got a few 'details' on the van to tweak/understand, but I've ordered a Bentley Manual so I'll be patient til it arrives. One of the first things that I needed to do though was to repair the plastic skylight cover on the pop top. I'll save my 'buy a replacement money' for something more inscrutable; since I know that these things are fragile and expensive, I thought I'd volunteer details of a simple repair. Had not seen much about them in the archives.

I had a corner of the skylight that was missing and numerous cracks throughout the rest. I just bought a fiberglass kit to do the repair job, because it's cheap (just a little messy), but the end result is a layer that stabilizes what you have AND is mostly transparent! The biggest problem that I had was how to shape up the missing corner so it would seal with the top. Since I had 3 good corners, I got a 'Bondo Kit' (body repair plastic) at the parts store (actually Wal-Mart) and used that to make a 'corner mold' from one of the good corners that I could then stick in the missing corner and 'glass' over it. I lined the skylight corner with 'kitchen plastic wrap' when laying the Bondo in there to form the mold, so that it popped loose without a hitch and then of course used the same material to keep the fiberglass from sticking to my bondo corner. When the fiberglass was set, I popped the bondo out of the new corner, and trimmed the edges with a Dremel tool and put it back on the pop-top - yes of course you DO TAKE IT OFF the pop-top.

Total cost of materials was about 12 dollars and yes, I had worked with both materials before, but if you are new to them, you just can mix up a little of each and see what kind of set times you have.

John Graham

88 GL Westi

ps. Are the vehicle lists at the bottom of each msg that I see, a historical list or current possessions? I do have a few other 4 wheeled things. I'm new to this... :-)