Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:45:34 -0500
From:         Leavitt <mleavitt@tiac.net>
Subject:      Re: fuel overflow

Rik Santos wrote:

> just gonna add another 'me too' to the list. i tried to drop the tank this > weekend but found that it required another hand or perhaps a little more > knowledge of just what was connected 'up there'. this only occurs when the > tank is full, so it -must- be a connector to the expansion tanks or the fuel > sensors, right? i'll try again next weekend and relay whatever info. > > Rik > 85 westy

Hi Rik,

You should read the archives, there is an excellent description of how to drop the tank without a big hassle. One of the instructions that helped me on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, etc. times that I dropped the tank was that the plastic elbow connectors that are on the top must be popped out by hand . There are 3 or 4 of them to yank before you can drop the tank. The rubber seals usually pop out with them and once you have fully removed the tank you simply clean the seals(or replace them, they're not that expensive) and put them back in the holes on the top of the tank before reinstalling. When the tank is back in, the plastic tubes just pop back into the seals. You have to lube them up real good first, I used silicon grease because it protect the rubber as well. The sender can be disconnected when you have the tank half way out and the breather tubes as well. The whole removal and reinstallation process can be accomplished with only one set of hands and didn't take me more than an hour or so.

I should probably add that the first time that I removed the tank, it was to attend to those rubber seals on top because when they get old they can leak when you fill it up all the way. I was having that problem and my overfill tubes were leaking too.

If you can't find that archive, just let me know, I'll dig it up.

HTH

Noel Leavitt