Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 1997 21:09:27 -0500
From:         J Anderson <spruce@m2.sprynet.com>
Subject:      Trip to South America

My wife and I are planning a driving trip to South America via the Pan American highway probably leaving around September of next year.

We were wondering which vehicle would be best to take. We chose the 86 VW Weekender for a 3 month trip from Boston through Canada. In Europe we lived in for 6 months a 92 VW Hightop Full Camper with an absolutely wonderful 2.4l Diesel that delivered 30-35 mpg and plenty of passing power. The diesel was great due to the 600 mile+ range and the reduced fuel cost.

I read that unleaded fuel can be hard to get in South America and it would be a good idea to remove the catalytic converter after crossing into Mexico, so you can burn leaded fuel and then put it back on upon before returning to the US. I am not a fan of polluting the air, but I wouldn't want to run out of gas in a jungle in Brazil either.

1) Does anybody know what adjustments would have to be made to a gas powered Vanagon motor if the catalytic converter were removed? Would the fuel injectors be affected? Would the aircooled version be a better bet?

2) If we decide on Diesel is it possible to put a more powerful motor in the Vanagon? Or is the 1.8L 48 HP the limit?

I would like to thank everyone who responded to the dual fuel tank question. Range is the other issue. 225 mile range of the standard Vanagon would probably make for some tense situations worrying about making the next gas station. I don't really relish the thought of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere. The range of the diesel is probably adequate but the gas powered ones would require carrying extra fuel in some of the more remote places.

John & Janet 83 Jetta

If you want to read about our travels in our VWs

http://tawny.bu.edu/JandJ/ (remember the uppercase J's and the trailing /)

VW picture

92 VW Fanatic High Top

http://tawny.bu.edu/JandJ/Journal/MOROCCO/961101.html