Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:58:38 -0800
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      year differences on late Vanagons?

Well, I've decided to upgrade my '80 Westy to a later one. I have two other '86's and would like to go with that engine and all. My wife wants a '90 or '91 (no reason, just it seems like something made this decade). I'd like to find out all the nitpicky changes for the 87 and on Vanagon's, particularly in the Westy's. I know that they added those nifty armrests in 87... Are there any meaningful changes of note? Any changes on the Syncros through the years? I'm looking at an '87 Syncro Westy, and inquiring minds want to know...

Are there any engine/trans/suspension/brake differences in the post '85 line? Seems like a long time for VW to remain the same, but there seem to be no major changes I know of.

I know there is a page on one of the web sites, but can't recall where, and remember it not having much details. I know the later years added a lot of fluff, like the bigger VW emblem up front, and no chrome window trim. When did the rear window flow-through vents get added? When did they go to the fancy non-functional bumpers? How about the heat or no heat in the forward vents? Any additional lights/cupholders/convieniences added in later models?

I never knew what the "little switch" spoken of was -- my '80 Westy has none, just one extra LED. Funny the little changes they did.

malcolm