Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:53:08 -0500 (EST)
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@oit.umass.edu>
Subject:      Westy Pre-Purchase Q's

I have received several requests from list members for my "list of pre-purchase questions" which I used in my long-distance purchasing process. This was the first round of questions I had for the dealer, once answered and with info from the individual who "looked" at it for me, I went back with additional questions

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - To: Auto Imports Brainerd, MN Attn: Jim Van der Putte

Date: 28 Jan, 1997 Re: 1991 VW Vanagon GL Camper/Westfalia

Please respond to the following request for information on the Westfalia which we discussed. I am seriously interested in purchasing this vehicle, but need the answers to these questions prior to making a deposit. Although we discussedsome of this information, I would like to have the answers in writing from you as assurance to me so that there is no misunderstanding on the details of this Westfalia. Please be assured that this is my standard set of questions from previous purchases - I just cannot be there in person at this time to ask or ascertain the information from personal inspection.

Original sale date to previous owner:

VIN #:

Color (Internal/External):

Actual mileage on original engine:

Manuals in glove box (OwnerUs Manual, Camper/Multivan Supplement to OwnerUs Manual, White OwnerUs Maint. Record, etc.):

Standard 4 speed or Auto Transmission:

Feel of transmission and gears on driving:

Condition of body, including bumpers and fiberglass pop-top:

Condition of undercarriage, including any signs of rust or corrosion:

--Condition of exhaust system? --Was vehicle driven in winter? --Was vehicle garaged by previous owner?

Condition of camping appliances:

--Stove:

--Refrigerator, including propane, electric and battery usage:

--Sink, including city water and water tank usage:

Propane tank: --plastic cover for fridge exhaust on side:

External covers for electric hookup and water intakes:

Heavy duty electrical cord for electric hookup (25U):

Front and rear stowable tables:

Cabinetry, including doors and compartments:

Curtains, including front privacy:

Upper and lower cushions:

Canvas top and screen window:

Removable carpet and linolium floor:

Tip out roof vent: --screen and curtain cover for:

Rear hatch screen:

Side (sliding) door screen?

Auxiliary battery under driverUs seat?

Power Steering?

Power Breaks?

Air Conditioning, factory or aftermarket?

--Fully charged and working properly?

Rear window wiper/washer?

Rear window defroster?

Make/model of radio with 4 speakers and tape deck:

Removable front floor mats (type):

Cruise control, if after market, make and installer:

Wheels/tires (Alloy?/type and condition of tires):

Power? door locks: --if no, cost to install/upgrade: ----windows: ----mirrors:

Security system: --if no, cost to install/type available:

Catalytic converter working?

Last inspection date:

Any maintenance records?

Check of VIN # for any recalls and/or recall repairs:

Any repairs due to accident or damage:

Please List any known problems:

The following 2 items are known to be problems with many Vanagons. My '80 had oil leakage on both the original and the new (replacement) engine and required a quart of oil every 500+ miles. Both my '80 and my '91 had to have the fuel tank dropped and the complete fuel line and fittings assembly replaced to stop leakage on fillup. I understand that this has been a reoccurring problem with Vanagons.

Any sign of oil leakage/where:

Any sign of gas leakage from overflow hoses on fill up:

I have the original glossy sales brochure for the '88 Vanagon. I assume that the standard set of amenities listed for the "Camper GL" are the same for the '91. If you know this to be incorrect, or it you do not have a copy of this information and would like me to FAX you a copy of this list I can do so.

Would it be possible for me to talk with the previous owner on details which you might not have? If so, please send name and phone number so that I may contact the previous owner.

Thank you for your time in responding to my pre-purchase request for information.

Kenyon Fairey ## XXXXXXX Road XXXXXXXX, MA #####

413-XXX-XXXX res. 413-545-4366 wk.

413-545-3203 FAX

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Assistant Director Human Dimensions of Resource Management Office of Information Technologies Department of Forestry & Help Desk Services Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203