Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Mar 97 10:51:00 PST
From:         Gregory M Daughtry <Gregory_M_Daughtry@ccm2.hf.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: ssolar cell for ev

Yes, they work, but they will not help you with the fridge. They fridges run poorly off of 12v, and the solar panel will only deliver milliamps of current at 12v. The fridge needs amps.

They will only help you if you live in a sunny place. I don't remember the spec on mine, but it delivers a trickle current which charges my secondary deep cycle battery. I never run the fridge off the battery, and I never run the lights when camping. I have my stereo wired to my second battery, and sparingly use it to quell the demons in my head while camping for long periods of time. Of course if you only camp for short times and have the luxury of being able to crank your engine once a day and have the alternator charge the battery, the panel would not be cost effective for you.

If you are considering buying one, search the archives. There is a lot of useful information on battery isolators, charge controllers, and such for gaining maximum performance out of a second battery (and therefore a solar panel to help maintain charge on it).

It would be useless to wire the panel directly to the fridge if that was what you were thinking.

Hope this helps......

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: ssolar cell for ev Author: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu at SMTPGATE Date: 3/13/97 2:23 PM

Howdy,

Do solar cells work? I want one for an EV winnie style. I want it to help run the fridge rather than using propane. How much do they cost? Is one brand better than another?

Thanks Chris