Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:53:23 -0800 (AKDT)
From:         Chris Wyatt <cwyatt@gi.alaska.edu>
Subject:      So that's what a front clip is...

Hi folks,

I never thought I would wish that my Syncro had leaking heads, but today I would trade my troubles for those of many. My van was wrecked as I was talking on the telephone.

But before you jump to any conclusions, it was not a cell phone. It was a rotary phone, actually. I was in my kitchen, when I heard a "BARK" and a crash. I thought perhaps a moose was going through my aluminum collection and irritating my dogs. But from the window I could see that my van had attempted suicide by taking off down my driveway, flinging itself off the 18" embankment and head first into a black spruce about 6 feet away. So there it sat, rear wheels on the driveway, nose against the tree. It didn't look damaged from the side...

But upon closer inspection, the angle of impact all but spared the bumper, and took out the upper grille, panel, windshield, left hinge post, left inner headlamp, and antenna.

The dog tied nearest the scene was at the far end of his run looking very upset. The insurance adjuster said my policy did not cover canine psychotherapy.

But it does cover the repair, to the tune of $2800 or so, plus my deductible. That makes this more pleasant than needing new heads, I suppose. Here are some highlights from the estimate:

FRONT BUMPER $559 UPPER GRILLE $258.5 TOP COWL PANEL $105 L INNER HLAMP $114 27 HOURS LABOR $1324 TOTAL PARTS $1557

Even the adjuster was amazed at the cost of the bumper. I could live with it as it is; only the cowl, windshield, lamps and grille were really trashed.

I would appreciate any advice for dealing with collision repair folks, as I have never been in this situation. Will I get to keep the replaced parts? I'll try. Meanwhile, set your parking brake, cram it into reverse, chock the wheels, put a dead bison on the downhill side, whatever it takes! For crying out loud, I've been parking there for three years, and I don't know what the heck happened on Monday.

Cheers!

Chris Wyatt '87 Syncro GL 85000 miles and a wicked sneer Fairbanks, Alaska

P.S. Would anyone discourage me from installing a Brazil-made clutch slave cylinder? $79 or so from the FLAPS seems pretty good for Fairbanks prices. Are there mail order sources for that part? Some of the parts houses that advertise in the magazines would not even send me a catalog due to my location. 478 Ookpik Way, Fairbanks AK 99709, if you're out there.

And if the fellow with the Syncro air filters is out there, please get in touch with me. My road is going from ice to mud to dust in a hurry. (I called you, but haven't heard back)