Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:02:44 -0400
From:         Gary Norris <rnorris@wam.umd.edu>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon parking misfourtunes and a Syncro question...

Chris Wyatt wrote: > > my van had attempted suicide by taking off down my driveway, flinging > itself off the 18" embankment and head first into a black spruce about > 6 feet away. So there it sat, rear wheels on the driveway, nose > I would appreciate any advice for dealing with collision repair folks, as > I have never been in this situation. Will I get to keep the replaced > parts? I'll try. Meanwhile, set your parking brake, cram it into > reverse, chock the wheels, put a dead bison on the downhill side, > whatever it takes!

The first time I took my Syncro anywhere was to our local Sam's wholesale club. My mother, wife and I were walking across the parking lot after parking on a very slight incline. We heard a loud crash and looked around to see what happened. It took a few seconds to realize that the large blue van that had hit the bumper of a sedan was in fact my Westy. I ran to the driver's side and drove the car back into the space. The sedan had one of those 5mph bumpers and it bounced right out to shape without a mark. My Westy did not fair as well and the bumper was bent in and down. I straightened the bumper as best I could. It looks okay but, now I have this wrinkled bumper to remind me to always set the parking brake...

Question to any other '87 Syncro owners: My Syncro does not have a differential switch. I thought that all Syncros '87 and up come equipped with a switch. Does anyone else share my switchlessness? AND It is possible for me to retrofit a switch? -- ********************************************************************* _________________ | | Gary Norris: (|_________________|) '86 Volvo DL |\ \ | / /| '86 Cabriolet | \ \ | / / | '73 Thing | - \___________/ - | '87 Syncro Westy | 0 | | 0 | rnorris@wam.umd.edu |___|__|_____|__|___| "Never put off until tomorrow, what |__| |__| you can get someone else to do."