Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:45:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:         elks@top.monad.net (Elkavitch, Michael and Diana)
Subject:      Re Start/no start 86 - Upper screen repair

First, an apology to Sean, Joel and John for their help in trying to diagnose my start no start problem. I misidentified the whirr noise, which, due to the lack of audio facilities, was determined to be the dread starter whirr. As I read you help messages guys, I realized that, I don't think is the problem. The starter is engaging, just no fire. I pulled my cap and rotor did the old file them down a bit and seems okay now. The plug wires have "white spots and corrosion"(Bentley manual) and those may be the problem. I will replace the cap rotor and check the coil. Thanks again. Now---- is there a way without removing the top on my 86 Westy to replace the screen part? If not I will attempt to replace the whole banana. Any ideas? Thanks for that. Finally, All of my dealings with list members and others in this hobby have bee great. I hope that if someone is shorting or backing out of a deal, they will spend a few moments reflecting on that. Hey, we're all in this together - paraphrase of Red Green Mike Elkavitch - 86 syncro Westy and 67 Deluxe