Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Apr 97 08:27:33 UT
From:         "Thomas Niksch" <cct_tom_niksch@msn.com>
Subject:      AW: Air-Cooled (Bread-loaf) Syncros!

---------- Von: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu im Auftrag von mdstockr Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. April 1997 22:39 An: Multiple recipients of list Betreff: RE: Air-Cooled (Bread-loaf) Syncros!

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

Michael Stocker <mdstockr@neo.lrun.com> North Canton, Ohio, USA 4/23/97 4:36:02 PM EST ____________________________________________

>> I don't believe that any went into regular production. <<

Hi Michael,

that's perfectly allright. According to Randolf Unruh's "VW Transporter & Bus" monographie and several articles in the germen Off-Road magazine T2 Allrad activities started in the mid 70s initiated by Henning Duckstein and Gustav "Transporter" Mayer. As VW Top-Management was not very pleased with these ideas (Remember: This were the years after the first OPEC oil-embargo). Development had to take place besides the normal design and testing activities. Eight of these "4x4 cigars" were built in total. Although off-road performance and press reactions were very positive, VW didn't take the 4x4 into regular production until they made up their minds to launchthe syncro in 1985.

Same situation like nowadays: A lot of people want a "real" successor for the T3 syncro especially the 16''(which the T4 [EuroVan] will never really be) but Volkswagen refuse to build and sell it !

Technicals of the prototypes:

2,0l 70 HP aircooled gasoline engine selctable 4x4 half-automatic transmission, no reduction gear

If further info is desired give me notice, i'll go into my files and translate something for you. Unfortunately I don'have any coulour pics besides the one Tom Forhan has already put to the SW site. All the rest are b/w copies.

Tom Niksch CCT_tom_niksch@msn.com previous '89 syncro 16'' Turbodiesel see: http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/ig16.html the yellov van