Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Apr 1997 11:45:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Parts Inquiries - Your Location Please!

Fellow listees -

I really appreciate and enjoy answering the dozens of inquires I go though every LATE night I can. However, it would be greatly appreciated if the inquirers would please give me their ZIP code to determine freight costs. Don't need the address, city or state, just the ZIP. Over 91% of the inquiries asking how much freight is for the whats-it fail to give a location etc., so it's very hard to be even semi-accurate.

Some items can be difficult because of the long lists of items people are interested in and can sometimes result in multiple boxes. Case in point: Recently had a V&L'er ask about engine rebuilding parts for his 1.9, including Piston/Cylinder Set, gaskets, bearings, etc. This would necessitate pre-packing to determine the weights, especially since P/C's have to go into a separate box to avoid damaging the other stuff. This can take an extra day to determine the shipping. Most other stuff I can figure the freight as I have the UPS Charts next to the machine here. But he didn't tell me where in the country (or world) he was. It's hard to be fair and close about shipping charges, because we certainly don't want to appear to be out of line when quoting this.

Also, try to remember that all the E-Mail support is done here at home and not at the office because of time constraints and our 'puter system is not set up for E-Mail down there YET. It's a simple matter of dialing into the server at the office from home and keeping the office system going in a window so I can refer to parts at a moments notice to answer all of the requests in the other E-Mail window (off-line of course).

I'm sure Ron Salmon and other commercial listees would certainly appreciate this as well. We really want to help and your help is greatly appreciated on this end of the bandwith.

Thanks for your support :)

Jim BusBoys@aol.com http://www.bus-boys.com