Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:39:10 -0500
From:         Karl_G_Vochatzer@notes.amrcorp.com
Subject:      anyone interested in a syncro donor van

I inspected an 87 Syncro for sale in the Dallas area last week. The guy is asking $2850. He's a small time dealer with all the small time dealer cheeziness.

Here's the specifics of what I found: - dove blue 87 syncro - pretty severe hail damage on top and p-side panels - broken odometer at 137,549 - head gaskets supposedly replaced some time or other, but the expansion tank was1/2 full and overflow tank was dry - started up pretty hard, but idled fine after giving it gas - front CVs click but only when turned hard either direction - exhaust was rather fragile, there may be small leaks - interior was very worn, but the captain chairs and arms were still intact - non-weekender interior, and arm rests in the middle and rear bench seats fold into the back rests - lift supports were shot - rear chrome bumper was bent a little on p-side and broken end cap - power door locks work from the p-side door only

But the good parts: - engine ran very well in city and highway traffic - clutch and transmission were excellent - air conditioner worked fine - no idle hunting - rear differential locked up just fine - didn't do the jack up one side to test viscous coupling trick, but there were no indications that the viscous coupling was not working properly (went over a square sided curb without spinning rear wheels, no whining sounds, etc.) - both power windows work as do the power mirrors - lots of other good parts all over the van

Because of the cheeziness, I researched and found out - that it is still titled by the PO and that the title is pink from California (probably due to the hail damage) - Texas registration expired in Aug 96 - did a People Find search in Lycos on the guys name and it might have been a retired Colonel's that now lives in Colorado Springs

Anyone interested in getting a donor syncro, this might be your chance (read Tom F's page on cost of replacement syncro parts). I don't need the syncro parts, but there are some vanagon parts that I'd like to have from this van. If anyone is interested in getting together to split out the parts, please let me know and maybe we can negotiate a deal out of this.

Karl