Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Apr 1997 11:52:24 -0500
From:         "R. A. \"Pete\" SELLERS" <sellersp@midmonet.net>
Subject:      Eurovan Update -  Note For The List

EUROVAN UPDATE is a publication for and about the VW Eurovan, particularly the 1993. I've been a subscriber for about a year. Some of you other EV owners/operators need to take a look at it!

I've been trying to get the Editor/Publisher to log onto the List here.

Recently I read some things in the recent issue that were troubling to me. I submited a response to the Publisher. I then thought some of you other EV Owners/Operators may like to see my comments and even submit your views.

below the line is my submission to the EUROVAN UPDATE: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got issue #6 of the Eurovan UPDATE. The issue being late does not bother me, as long as it's not excessive or repetitive.

You really DO need to quit "saying" you're gonna get on the internet and do it (I've seen your comments for nearly a year now)! The VANAGON List (as one example) could be informative to you, you could be informative to the other Eurovan owners and the potential goodwill by you could possibly increase sells of your publication. BUSSES-BY-THE-ARCH is another event you seem to give "lip-service" to.

The mail-label indicates this to be my last issue. I'm considering whether to renew or not (the determinant will be considered internally and has little to do with you, the UPDATE or the price of it)! I have referred several others to your publication and will continue to do so.

I have sent several items/articles to you either by snail-mail or by E-mail. I've yet to get an acknowledgement of any nor have I seen any of it appear in your publication. I expect you get a lot and you MUST go through some 'selection & weeding' process but I have seen similar items appearing. It makes me wonder.

I read the portion, "Dealer Downing the Eurovan", and realized I had posted a similar incident in the VANAGON List. I'm forwarding that posting to you with this message for your information.

Another item in your UPDATE, I take exception to is the negativism with respect to VWofAmerica and the Eurovan. I don't consider myself a negative person and generallay, try to accentuate the positive. With respect to VWofAmerica, in general and with respect to the Eurovan, in particular, almost 100% of the time I have any reason to be in contact with a VW dealer or with VWofAmercian, corporate, I come away feeling like I've been insulted with impunity! I'm convinced that, as a coordinated network, the VW establishment have decided that correcting the 'ills', problems, and defects on the Eurovan will be so costly and time-consuming it's cheaper to create an envelope of confusion and frustration, with hope that Eurovan owners will go away rather than VWofAmeirca doing anything which will, even slightly, open a precedent and cause them to act responsibly across the board!

I agree that the 1993 the Eurovan is a wonderful vehicle. It functions nearly flawless, while it's, generally, new and under warranty. We had great fun with ours, in the first months. I willlingly and obediently paid the high price for the periodic services that the warranty-agreement and the VWofAmerica folks recommended. After about a year, when things started to go wrong, I learned that the VW dealers and the VWofAmerca network became increasingly and openly less willing to assist with keeping our vehicle running and in good appearance, even for things that should not have been disabling in that short a period.

After paying nearly $25, each, for something as common as an oil filter (it was originally listed as a dealer-only item) once a month, I have found that auto-parts houses have the same or a closely similar oil filter for $7. I'm now wondering how much I've paid for other parts, things and services "while being VW loyal"!

It's not fun to learn that the VWofAmerica network openly shows no willingness to invest similar "loyalty" to customers who have 'hung-in-there'. It's equally bothersome to have other folks 'pinging' me and others for feeling negative now that we are learning what VWofAmerica has or has not done to/for us.

Regards, --

Pete SELLERS - sellersp@midmonet.net FLW, MO - Voice: (573) 774-1895 / FAX: 336-5128 '74 THING (Pete's "PLAY" THING) '93 Eurovan, MV, Weekender (The Conestoga)