Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Apr 1997 19:12:05 -0800
From:         "Shawn & Janis Wright" <vwnut@smuslabs.smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      '88 Coolant change complete! (long)

Volks,

After a mere 5 hrs (I'm slow ok...) the coolant change is pretty much done. I still have the pushrod tube covers to go back on, and a few little things, but ~ 9 liters of LongLife Prestone is now protecting those precious heads...

A brief overview of my somewhat clumsy procedure:

1. Placed on sloped driveway. Loosened rad & engine bleeder screws. Removed pushrod tube covers.

2. Placed large pan under right head & removed drain plug. Repeat for left head. Remove cap on left exp. tank.

3. Remove one heater & one rad hose junction near right side of trans & drain. Remove exp tanks & drain. At this point I measured just over 12 liters of coolant drained, leaving about 5 in the system.

4. I then clamped a garden hose on the lower hose leading from left exp tank, and ran water for several minutes, catching some coolant, then flushed clear water.

5. Let drain, loosely reassembled hoses & tanks, and filled as per Bentley from left tank. Ran @ 2000 rpm until thermostat opened - made clearly evident by geyser of steam/water since I had forgotten to replace the rad bleeder. Ran madly to front to catch coolant stream...

6. Stopped engine, drained heads, then hoses again, then slowly added cold water as before, taking care not to cool engine too fast. Once cooled, flushed engine again for a few minutes.

7. Added 5 liters of coolant to left tank, and 4 liters of water to rad using funnel & small tubing (slowwww...). Started engine, ran at 2000 while adding another 4 liters of coolant to left tank before rad started to bubble. Was able to add another 1-2 liters of water as engine ran for 1/2 hour, fan cycling several times.

Strangely, opening rad bleeder at this point did not seem to let either air or coolant out (??). Since temp levels were fine I will assume this is normal, but check/bleed again after some driving.

One advantage of all that time spent adding water to rad was that the fluid loss when bleeding was almost clear water. Overall, a long and tedious job, and I will probably go 2 years before doing this again, hoping the LongLife coolant will carry me through, since it claims to last 5 years.

Shawn & Janis Wright '88 Westy (338k) '85 Jetta TD (375k) VWnut@smus.bc.ca : swright@smus.bc.ca http://www.islandnet.com/~swright/vw.html http://www.smus.bc.ca