Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:43:44 -0700
From:         Rick Gordon <rickgo@halcyon.com>
Subject:      re: 97 EV  camper: we are about to buy! HELP!

> >Hi VW Van Fans > >Wife and I are about to sign ourselves away for the 1997 EV Winnie. Does >anybody have any words of reservation or encouragement? We need your >advice. We appreciate your advice. > >Is it a good product? > >I have recently heard that VW service at the dealers is very costly, and >frustrating?! > >Will it hold its value and does it hold up well? > >Anything else we should know before me make this (nervous) commitment? > >wishing you well: THANKS! >

I don't know about those white bumpers - seems like they'd be hard to keep clean.

just kidding. There were some recent complaints about the comfort of the rear bed and the quality of the closet door, but nothing major that I recall. You can check the archives for the history of the EV here, although since the 97 has that whizbang VR6 engine you don't have to worry about that. Clearly there has been some frustration among some of the '93 owners, even a few problems among the 95s. But there also seem to be lots of owners happy with them as well.

Winnebago seems to be better than *some* US companies in regard to quality control, but they're sure not perfect. There are a lot of components plugged into the EVC providing lots of potential failure points.

Probably the best advice is to make sure that: 1) your dealer is willing to service the Winnebago components; otherwise you may have to find a Winnebago service place and they may have never seen such a vehicle; 2) you test *every* component before driving it off the lot - if anything doesn't work get it in writing. 3) when you pass me climbing the pass in my '95 be polite! 4) you get the Winnebago Service Training Manual - it has lots of good maintenance & functional info that should have been in the User's Manual.

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ KC7QEG finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------