Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:32:10 -0500
From:         kstanley@cas.org (Kerry G. Stanley)
Subject:      Re: Mr.Canoe Head

At 11:50 AM 4-24-97, Mike Wynn wrote:

> But theres one hitch...of course. I have a westy, but no roof rack >or mounting device. I was curious as how any of you beloved listees carry >your canoes? I saw these small foamy pads at Canadian Tire (flaps) that >might be able to fit over the canoe edges so I could put it on top and tie >it down well, but I think that may not be enough. > So.......I await your wisdom. > >mike

I trust your trip went well, and the canoe stayed on top OK. I however do not like the foam blocks as a way to transport canoes. As one member mentioned if you do use foam blocks use some sort of belly (or middle) strap. I have had a canoe slip to the side a fair amount. I do not think it would have come off, but it is not as stable as should be.

My recommendation is to use roof racks that attach to the gutter. I use Yakima, but Thule or a cheaper imitation would do. The advantage hear is you place the canoe on the crossbars and then use ropes from the inside, over the canoe and down to the outside; drawing real tight using a "truckers knot". This knot uses a loop in the rope that you pass the rope through after going around the crossbar. Then pull tight. I know this isn't a good description of the knot, but see if you can find some info on knots. Anyway, no way the canoe will move. My canoe club uses this technique exclusively. I've carried 3 canoes (one stacked on top of two side by side on the crossbars) with no problem. But not three on the vanagon. This would be so high!!!!

Another listee mentioned Temagami. Been there but back in the eighties. A great one week canoe camping trip.

Good luck Kerry '86 syncro

------------------------------------------------------- Kerry G. Stanley Technical Services Representative Chemical Abstracts Service kstanley@cas.org 215-362-7280 -------------------------------------------------------