Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 01 Apr 1997 16:36:05
From:         list@busdepot.com (The Bus Depot)
Subject:      A *really* bad night    (Long)

Well, I just got back after a leaving for a "4-hour" drive late yesterday morning...

I found an '87 Westy for sale in Maryland with only 38,000 miles (!), and decided to go check it out yesterday. (Bought it, by the way. Very nice. Any takers, at a very fair price?) The weatherman was predicting a couple of inches of snow or slush at night, so I thought I'd get an early start and be back well before dinner and the snow (not that I was all that worried about driving in an inch of snow anyway).

Paid for the van, and got back on the road for home. There was freezing drizzle falling in Md., nothing major. Until I got a few miles into Pa. on Rt. 10. WHAM!!! A blizzard! Six inches of snow already on the unsalted roads, 50 mph winds blowing the snow (and the van) so badly you couldn't see anything, and all the while the radio announcer insisting that it was raining. And I'm on a 2-lane rural road in the middle of nowhere, full of steep hills and curves. After passing two multi-car pileups, looking for the next town, I found myself stuck at the bottom of a steep hill. Front wheel drive Japanese cars were passing me, but all my Vanagon (with Bridgestone LT tires) would do was spin. Finally a big tractor pulled me up the hill. By now I knew I was in deep trouble. No matter which way I went, it would be up and down equally bad hills. Turning back wouldn't help, and I was midpoint between the two closest towns. So I decided to press on. Made it a few miles further, got pulled up another hill (boy did my Vanagon handle the snow like sh*t compared to my old '77 bus!), and then finally came to a long line of cars going nowhere. It seems another group of cars had collided ahead, and others were stuck in the valley between two hills just like I had been.

So I waited. And waited. After two hours, I walked to the nearest house and called Evon (wife) and Westy (dog), who had expected me for dinner hours before. After another two hours, I heated up some soup on the stove and made the bed, figuring I'd be there for the night. Until a volunteer fireman drove by, and knocked on my window. "Rt. 10 will be impassable until at sometime tomorrow, and all the other major roads in the area are closed," he said. "The Red Cross has set up an emergency shelter at the firehouse. Turn around and follow me."

Bad idea. I made it about 50 yards, halfway up the first hill, and promptly got stuck again, sliding backwards down the hill and ending up smack in the middle of the road. The volunteer fireman was by now disappearing in the distance. I had to get the Vanagon to the side the road so plows and emergency vehicles could get by! Finally I did, but I completely toasted my brand new clutch in the process. So I was stuck in the snow, with a clutch that was stuck in the "disengaged" position, almost out of gas, in the middle of a blizzard. I finally caught a ride to the firehouse at about 2 am, slept on the floor in wet clothes, and started calling towing companies at 6 am until, at noon today, the roads finally reopened so a tow truck could reach me.

So I just now walked in the door, a full twenty four hours after I planned to. To find that while I was gone, a tree fell over in the high winds and is blocking my driveway. Now I have to go out and chop it up with an axe so my wife can get her car in the driveway.

I just want to sleep...

(Oh, and if you e-mailed or called The Bus Depot over the last 2 days, please be patient; I'll start catching up right after a nap and dinner.)

-Ron The Bus Depot (tired, wet, and not really feeling like chopping up a tree - but home!!)