Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Apr 97 23:27:12 EDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Re: [Fwd: Re: Gas in Oil?]

> > I hadn't either, but there is a cap on the exhaust pipe where the O2 > sensor should go. There also doesn't seem to be a spare wire on the > pig-tail indicating that it is missing? Got me! > Chaz > > > Chaz: > I am not familiar with any FI vehicles without an O2 sensor. > Ken > > >Sorry, I forgot to mention it is an 82 westy, 120k and as far as I can > >tell, it doesn't have a O2 sensor?? > >Chaz > > > > > Well, many of our beloved FI VWs came without O2 sensors. All Type 3s, All Type 4s, Beetles '75-'79 and Buses '75-'79 and Vanagons '80-'83 that had fuel injection did NOT have O2 sensors, EXCEPT for some California models.

I believe the only air-cooled Vanagons with O2 sensors are California models. I know my '81 doesn't have one and it's not supposed to.

I know the '79 CA Buses had O2 sensors, and even tho the '78 CA Buses had catalytic converters, i don't think they had O2 sensors.

The CA air-cooled Vanagons also have electronic ignition while the federal models have standard points-and-condenser ignition.

When they switched to the wasserboxer, I think they all got O2 sensors.

Sean

-- ***************************************************************** Sean Bartnik Fahrvergnugen really means "push harder." sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu '81 Vanagon Westy

http://www.mwc.edu/~sbart7kb/myvan.htm http://www.mwc.edu/~sbart7kb/tech.htm '78 Owner's Manual: http://www.conservatory.com/vw/manuals_nyx/ *****************************************************************