Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:00:10 +0300
From:         zeidler@NTCNTG02DU.ntc.nokia.com (Zeidler Helmut NTC/Dusseld.)
Subject:      Re: 82 Vanagon gear selection problem.

Jorgen, check if you will find the first somewhere right of the rear gear while pushing down the shift lever. If you will find the first follow the next paragraph:

Just behind the fuel tank there is a connection of two rods which is the linkage between the front half and the rear half of the shift rod. Loose the clamp and adjust to the right angle of both halfs. If you don't have the procedure I may translate it into english. It is like putting the gearbox into neutral by fingering on itself. The lever have to be most out of the box, but not as much as to switch into rear, just between 1st and 2nd. In the front box of the shift rod (just above the spare wheel) have to be adjusted the shift lever to a certain distance to the right edge (this depends on the year of make of your car, on the '80 it's 19 mm). Then tight the clamp.

I did it two weeks ago on my '80 Vanagon and needed five tries to fix it. What's about my gearbox table? Haven't heard about.

Helmut '80 Camper ---------- >From: vanagon To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: 82 Vanagon gear selection problem. Date: Friday, 04 Apr, 1997 0:07

My Vanagon is sick. :-(

When i select 1st gear i get 3rd gear and when i select 3rd gear i get 3rd gear. 2nd, 4th and reverse works ok.

Is it a linkage problem or is the gearbox broken ?

Can someone tell me how to adjust the gear selectionlinkage in a "propper" way ?

/Jorgen

Jorgen Ohman, Lulea, Sweden xordph@ludd.luth.se