Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:17:44 -0500
From:         "Randy Newell" <rnewell@epower.net>
Subject:      Help in advance

Has anyone had some experience with changing the clutch master and slave cylinders? I looked at the Bentley last night, but all there is just a diagram for my GL. I won't have a vehicle while I'm doing this so it would be very helpful to know all the problems that come up ahead of time. Like parts that don't necessarily come with, that will need to be replaced when re-assembling. I also would like to get more information on a posting that I saw briefly, but couldn't find again when I went through the archives (how can anyone find anything in there anyway?). Someone had talked about replacement heads that solved the leakage problem? What does a re-built 2.1 Digifant go for anyway? Does this problem re-occur a lot if the vehicle is used a LOT? (i.e. 120-150miles X 5 days a week?) Can a fairly knowledgeable do it yourself-er like myself take on removing the engine if need be for repairs? I don't think that my heads are currently leaking, but I do however get some moisture out of the exhaust when I first start it in the morning, but it goes away after warm up. And apon looking through most of the messages and horror stories, it looks like I can expect this problem every 30-50K miles. This would add up to be about once or twice a year for me and it seems like by now someone would have come up with a better way to fix this once and for all. I mean, after all, isn't that why engineers make the big bucks? Can't someone re-design the gasket or the head to fix this? I really don't want to go with a non-Volkswagen engine but what are the best options for replacement engines? I need a motor that I can rely on for several hundred thousand miles at a time (don't think that I would ever be mean to her, I take very good care of her with oil changes and such, ON TIME! which comes out to be about every 2-3 weeks for me. I drove my last vehicle 250K miles (88 Escort) before the head gasket and the CV's went, she's still setting in my driveway and still starts every time you turn the key, any takers for parts? lots of new stuff on it) Well I guess I've taken up enough bandwidth for now. It's just nice to talk with people who know how I feel when I say that it doesn't always matter how much it costs to fix it when it's your VW van. And It's NOT a "Money-sucking monster that lives in the driveway" as my SO calls it. She just can't understand can she?

Randy Newell 86 GL ??? (Maybe another VW in the future) 88 Escort (rest her soul!) rnewell@epower.net