Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:59:33 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      Driving: Right vs. Priveledge

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Rob wrote:

> > Contrary to popular opinion, driving is not a > >right, but a privledge (at least in California ... read the inside cover > >of the DMV drivers manual). > My main point was the remark about basic transportation being a privilege, > too bad our forefathers didn't think about the govt being able to tell you > you couldn't travel! Yes I know you can fly (if you have a govt issued > picture ID), take a cab, or walk, at least in theory. > Too bad the Constitution doesn't say something about the govt not being > able to take rights away! > Later,

I know it's hard to beleive in these times, but the government is not some etherial power from nowhere out to control our lives. The government is the people ... at least the people that bothered to get out and vote. In this vein the government REPRESENTS those people who did VOTE. The government doesn't limit our right to *travel* from place to place, but they do *regulate* the mechanism and manner by which we travel. Without these regulations, life would be nothing but CHAOS! It's obvious from the number of vehicles spewing out bad emissions or people driving recklessly that they are and will not do what is right and proper. These same morons are likely the same people who do not vote and/or are not active in the political arena. So those of us who bother to vote elect a government that will yield to our desires ... enact laws and regulations that will protect us from the morons, and in the same process protect the morons from themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the *government*. I've seen and experienced some of the really idiotic things they can do, but I AM defending the only institution that can protect me from the morons out there.

Basic transportation. I agree with you! Because of the needs of today's society, basic transportation should be a "right", not a priveledge. But basic transportation to me implies just that, basic transportation! ... the minimal means to get you from point A to point B (like from home to work and back). A stock Volkswagen comes to mind when I think of "basic transportation". But what we actually see and EXPERIENCE out on the road are: vehicles that cruise at 90 mph with the manuverability to quickly move in and out between other vehicles... and it's not as if the drivers (a.k.a, morons) don't take advantage of this ability; vehicles with $2000 stereo systems, but brakes that don't work; vehicles with car phones and distracted drivers; and vehicles with all the luxuries of home dulling the drivers senses ... unfortunately the driver isn't at home proped up in his/her Lay-Z-Boy, but in a vehicle cruising along at 90 mph.

Rights and responsibilities. Rights aren't something that are given to us from some heavenly being. Along with our rights, defined or implied, are innumerable responsibilities. As a citizen you are the guarantor of your Consitutional rights. By exercising YOUR RIGHTS you accept, knowing or unknowing, certain responsibilities. Sure! the Constitution guarantees you the "pursuit of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness", but where does it say that in your "pursuit" you can rightfully impinge upon my "pursuit". To guard against one person impinging upon the rights of another, our government enacts laws and regulations to *control* "pursuit". For example, to protect me from being hurt on the roads by errant drivers, the government requires licenses, registrations, smog inspections, safety inspections of all vehicles/drivers. If I want to exercise my RIGHT to drive, I must also exercise my responsibilities.

In life there is no such thing as a free lunch, or free rights. Somebody has the pay ... and the payment is everyone's societal responsibilities.

The alternative is for everyone to do as they damn well please. Fine, I'll start driving an M1 tank ... goodby roads, landscape, and fellow man ... bump! what was that ?, oh! just another sports car now compact!

My $0.02 and more ...

Chris San Diego