Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Apr 1997 09:10:38 -0600 (CST)
From:         Scott Chen <mac.chen@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      non-VW /EPA/Parts Place/Civic Responsibilty

Famous quote-If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I got sick of driving to work every day, dealing with traffic, idiots on the road (including myself sometimes). Bottom line, I made the decision to use my bicycle and public transportation when possible. End result-I've put 1500 miles on my vehicle in the past 9 months. I commute to work every day on the bicycle- 18 miles each way, rain or shine, cold or hot. It CAN be done. I go toe to toe with city traffic to and from Washington D.C. Everyone thinks I'm crazy...it's too far to ride, what about the danger, you could get killed....well, I'm still here, fitter and happier. I save money on fuel and wear and tear on the old van. Granted some people cannot ride a bike to work, but most can, they're just too lazy or unwilling to make some sacrifices to do it. One less car on the road... Let's complain about Parts Place using popsicle and pampers boxes instead of complimenting them for recycling....You can complain about their lack of service or prices, but no matter who you order from, if the part works, I could care less if it was thrown through my window wrapped in toilet paper! Let's complain about MTBE dropping our gas mileage instead of realizing that maybe it's a cleaner burning fuel and helps reduce emissions (yet to be proven). Let's complain about the EPA slamming Joe Citizen instead of corporate America (which is also incorrect) and not be willing to pay higher prices at the pump, and in the stores for pretty much everything we buy, which is what would happen if the government was to revamp the pollution enforcement regulations. Pollution is a by-product of the society we live in. Environmental groups can(and have) purchased pollution credits to keep those credits out of the hands of corporations. Part of the solution... Are you willing to pay more at the pump and at the store, or would you rather go through emissions testing? Find a balance, perhaps? What are YOU willing to sacrifice? BTW, I work in pollution enforcement with the US Coast Guard, part of big bad government. My 2 cents Scott