Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 97 03:57:43 UT
From:         "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes57@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: AC Blowing Out Black Material

That black stuff is the filter material after the evaporator. It main function is to collect the water that condenses on the coil and keep it from blowing into the ductwork with the air. It also collects dust and pollen which is then carried away with the water as it drains down. It should be replaced. Without it, water will start spraying out the vents. It is a hell of a job as the cabinetry has to be disassembled. The material gets ruined from the heat in the Van when parked in the sun with everything closed. Go to an AC supplier and get metal screening like that used on range hoods to replace that plastic junk.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- >From: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu On Behalf Of Fast, Timothy Sent: Monday, March 31, 1997 1:58 PM To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: AC Blowing Out Black Material

Lately when I have been running the A/C on my 88 Westy the unit has been blowing out bits of a black plastic material that looks like it is from some kind of air filter that has been chopped up by the A/C fan. The A/C seems to work OK but I wonder if I should be concerned about this, what is goning on, and whether I should have it fixed.

Also is it possibe to upgrade the A/C on an 88 Westy to run on the new (R134?) refigerent? Are there kits available and who should I have do it. Hopefully not my VW dealership. As you may know the A/C on an 88 is different, the entire unit is in the rear roof with outlits in the rear only (beacuse of the pop-top).

Tim Fast 88 Vanagon Westy "The Battle Bus"