Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:10:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:         cb541@cleveland.freenet.edu (James R. Gilbert)
Subject:      '87 Wolfsburg, Fuse Block problem

I'll try to keep it brief. '87 Wolfsburg. Door locks would lock ok, but unlocking caused the locks to unlock, then immediately lock again, leaving only the key in the slide door to get in and out, until I lift up simultaneously on driver and passenger door locks, which successfully unlocked. In trying to correct the problem, I was looking for either a broken wire, or a defective motor. Things were'nt going too well, so I decided to disable the 'central locking system' by removing 'box' relay/fuse #23. Couldn't find #23, it was shown (in Bentley 1980 thru 1991) in a position which does not exist, way up. So, I removed every box on the fuse block, one at a time. Everything seemed fine, except the door locks weren't disabled, then POOOM, nothing. No interior lights, no ability to start, no nothing. Much fiddling and the back of the fuse block, 'P' connection, 'terminal 30', has a large red wire to ignition. This wire, when fed direct from battery, allowed starting the car. If voltage is fed to the place where the big red wire to ignition goes into fuse panel, the interior lights, etc. come on. There's another big red wire to the back of the fuse block. This one goes in the 'N' place. It is, I think, the main feed to the whole fuse panel. It is hot with the battery connected. So, I think there is nothing getting from this main feed wire to the entire fuse block. I'll try find where the 'main feed' wire is supposed to go electricallly, and if there is a fuse, fusable link, or one of those big 'box' fuse/relays, that control it.

Thanks for listening. Any suggestions welcome in e-mail, and if you give me a good one, I'll post something about it to everybody after I get this fixed. Russ Gilbert cb541@cleveland.freenet.edu (Hey Jim Davis, I got a '78 GL 1000 too).