Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:16:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Kelley Park Show - A Nice Show & A Real Nice Find

Kelley Park show today was rather nice, packed with cars and people. Went there not to sell (didn't have time to put together anything, what with the new Website changeover and all), but just to look around, buy a few things, etc.

For those who don't know, I purchased an 84 Westy Automatic last year with a slightly ventilated case on the top. Finally pulled the beast and when pulling off the right cyl head, what to my surprise (and the machinist helping me) the #2 piston was toally gone - nada - zip - not there. Just a pin frozen to an "S" shaped connecting rod (contrary to popular belief, it's not a racing rod..;)...) Didn't look good. Proceeded to split what was left of the case and found that it looked like someone grenaded the insides. Only thing salvageable was the oil pump (looks like new), the distributor driveshaft and amazingly enough the crankshaft - may not even need turning. Three rods are good for re-conning (or for exchange from AVP). Camshaft (-1 Gear) is in three pieces with very little wear on the lobes FWIW. Note - engine has 82K on it. Looks like the dreaded PO over-revved this poor 1.9. Heads are decent, but have tiny cracks between the seats - mulling over what to do next about heads. Even at my cost new ones are deadly priced (over $350 ea - yep and that's direct from the guy who brings 'em in I don't get much more from customers for 'em).

So here I am at Kelley Park, looking around, buying a little of this and a little of that for Bus Boys, and lo and behold, some guy has a 2.1 engine, sans waterpump/thermo housing and sans heads - out of an automatic no less - Engine #MV005141 with a * at the end of the number (factory rebuilt?). Friend needed the heads, so no go there. Asking $75.00. Still had the pistons and barrels on - turns over real nice, no stiffness or lockup. Lot of other spare parts (FI, exhaust, etc) for the engine too. Take it all he says. Not wanting to jinx this, it was quickly packed away for transport back home. Gonna pull it apart tomorrow. If OK, purchasing a set of 2.1 heads (new or rebuilt) will be a little easier on my mind. It would be nice to have a 2.1 in the Westy and hopefully, this would be worth the wait. Nice ending for a birthday weekend too.

One question tho - Can anyone who has the knowledge tell me what the H E doubletoothpick are the differences between the 1.9 and 2.1 heads? They have the same valves, rockers and look alike to me and if the 1.9's are salvageable I'd like to use them. If not, oh-well.

BTW - I bought the Westy for 1000 smackers and it is in otherwise MINT condition.

Jim BusBoys@aol.com http://www.bus-boys.com/