Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Apr 1997 10:12:54 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Re: CV joint boots

> Malcolm I think the outside cv boots with disc brake applications need to > withstand a lot of heat.Some Ford products use different material on the > outside boots also. My mail server has been down for a couple of days so I > don't know all that is going on with type2. Darrell > This could be, although I've replaced many boots on Hondas and Golfs and Jettas that have front drive and disc brakes, and on Peugeots with rear drive, but also disc brakes, all with what appeared to be the same black rubber. Of course all black rubbery material is not rubber. The Syncro outer boots on mine are really different, but the ones on the bus originally were just like the replacements -- white plastic. I've seen other syncros with rubber outer boots (and failed ones).

So how about you other Syncro owners? I have rather stiff white plastic (well, rather dirty brownish now) outer CV boots that came on my 86 Kombi, and two shiny new Lobro ones that are identical for eventual replacements. I, however, was looking at another Syncro for ale, which had black rubber outer CV boots -- one failed -- which the owner said were originals. What's the scoop? Anybody else have the stiff white plastic jobs? Any failures? My inner boots failed, but the outers seem fine still. Anybody have the rubber outer boots on their syncros, and which are originals?

malcolm