Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:34:47 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      CV Joints

Well answered for definite a couple nagging questions the other day, looking at the 4 new Lobro CV's from Bus Depot, some things became clear, the chamfer on the cage goes toward the driveshaft, as I recall being correct but could never quite verify in photographic evidence. I could not verify the direction of the inner race step, as it is not present on later joints, but I feel it went toward the thrust washer origionally. I also note a few things, genuine Lobro no longer have cages that the balls "snap" into, the cage is a tight sliding fit on the balls, sort of interesting. The one '88 joint has the snap in ball cage unlike the later ones. After '93 the joints are marked merely Germany, not W Germany and interesting sign of the times. The real interesting thing is this though, the newest ('94) joints have an almost "annodized" (if they were aluminum instead of steel) grey coating to the outer races and are much more smoothly machined. The intersting thing about that is that they are identical matches to the generic "rebuilt" (which had to be brand new) joints I had been buying from Transform for $39 each previously, which were unmarked as to manufacturer but were marked Germany. However Transform no longer sells them, sort of wonder though if the Transfrom joints were Lobro rejects, have not had a problem with them though. I also note this, because the literature with the Transform joints had made a point about how the new "loose" cage was actually an improvement and would reduce wear and extend joint life, implying that an initially slightly loose joint properly lubricated was better than the old tight style. All in all quite happy, we'll see how they hold up in my evil rubber boots once I build a nice set of axles for the '85, now that I got the sandblast cabinet finally running I can really clean and paint axles like the factory intended.

John vwbus@netbiz.net