Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:26:56 -0800 (PST)
From:         Earl Smith <earlsmit@islandnet.com>
Subject:      Fridge

When I had my fridge out of the van, I hooked it up to a propane tank and fired it up to make certain that the servicing to the air pump, thermo switch and other bits had been done correctly. It worked. So, I put it back in the van and guess what - It won't work. Can't get it to light up. When it was on the bench test I didn't even think about bleeding air out of the propane line, the fridge burner came on after about five minutes trying. In the van, I cracked the fitting until I could smell the propane, tightened and checked the union, but it just will not light. To make matters worse, I can't get netscape to run so can't access the archives so would appreciate any suggestions.

BTW. Query on replacing the hookup covers - I made new covers out of pieces of scrap plastic. One I screwed in place and the second I fitted in with the wire that holds them in. Because the little closure springs were broken, I made the covers a teeny bit oversize so they would jam closed. Am willing to mail sketches if anyone is interested.

Heater cables: I mentioned before that it is possible to buy this little clamp unit which is fastened onto the end of the cable sheath with the cable still in place. One then squirts a lubricant through the fitting on the clamp. the lubricant is forced down the cable 'cause there's no where else for it to go.

Cables can be replaced by pulling the old one out of the sheath and replacing it with a piece of piano wire from a model airplane shop. Don't bend the wire too sharply, it breaks.