Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 09 Apr 1997 08:45:16 EDT
From:         cpaohio@juno.com
Subject:      Vanagon Seal

I recalled seeing something about an off-the-shelf item that is identical to the Vanagon pop-top and luggage rack seal. I found this from the 1996 archives when I searched under "pop-top seal". ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >From vwbus@netbiz.net Mon Oct 14 22:37:04 1996 Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:42:42 -0400 >From: John Anderson Subject: Cheap Westy pop top seal

In todays FWIW column.

Browsing through the McMaster Carr catalog, (hardware store for the stars lucky enough to get a catalog) I noticed and purchased what turns out to be EXACTLY what WCM and others sell as the major portion of the replacement pop-top seal. McMaster Carr sells it for $1.32/ft part no 1120A23 bulb position A. This is the EXACT I reiterate product sold for the edges and luggage rack seal by WCM and the others. This price is considerably less than they charge but you would need something for the "wide" seal between the pop-top and luggage rack. However on most vans it seems that part of the seal does not fail as water does not sit in it and seep down to rust the clips, hence you could cut there and replace the edge piece with this stuff and save at least $50. I reiterate this is the EXACT same vinyl edged sponge rubber bulbed aluminum clipped product. I have ordered both they are identical except in price and must come from the same source.

They can be reached at (908)329-3200 you pay by credit card, and mysteriously things they ship UPS ground always arrive next or second day anyway. Shipping is I believe factored into the price.

Saving you money John Anderson vwbus@netbiz.net --------------------------------------------- Brian Strange '83.5 Westy 170K miles