Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 09 Apr 1997 21:43:37 -0500
From:         Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net>
Subject:      Re: Thanks, Volks! for Re: Recs for oil wt, tires

Regarding the oil changes:

If you end up enjoying doing it yourself, good for you. Otherwise, try the dealers. The one near me charges 19.95 and will take my van whenever I drive in normally, no appointment necessary, and does the job rather speedily. At 19.95 (including the filter), it's cheaper than the Jiffy Lubes and Speedy's, and they actually know what they're doing. They send me a little postcard every 3 months to remind me it's time again with a few 'specials' printed on it which are usually good deals if I need the work done. Sometimes it's just a flat percentage off anything I need. Now the dealer is usually way to expensive for most things, but mine here is pretty good. If you can find yourself a good one ... Mine has even done things for free (without me having to argue, no less!) And parts can actually be cheaper and more timely obtained (not all parts, but some). The air intake boot was the same price at the dealer as anywhere else, and the dealer would overnight it for me. They ended up installing it for free because it was taking them too long (took them 5 hours and I was waiting in the showroom for them to get done!). I didn't even ask for anything or complain about the long wait.

I guess there's been so much bad rap given to the dealers that I had to say something positive about them! Seriously, if you don't want to fool with the oil, give them a shot.

Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle