Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:58:36 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: AVP

> AVP replacement may be as good or better than a local rebuild job, > and that they provide a limited warranty. How do you like the > engine? The company? Any problems/comments?

Since I had to reply to a personal email, and someone else just asked, more opinions as usual.

Warren, most certainly the AVP will be 100% better than a local rebuild, rebuilding the T4 is not a thing for idiots and as the AVP or Mark Stephens rebuilt heads are much much better than the only available new (AMC, Spanish) heads (which have a critical design flaw) you are certainly better to go with either Stephens or AVP. Now as to my comments on AVP, Leonard the owner is a bit quirky, he does not believe in dynamic balancing as necessary in a T4 which is largely true, but is still a great idea for longetivity. He learned his trade from Stephens as head/seat rebuilding goes or so the rumor is told. He does an excellent job with wasserboxers that no one else touches. He rebuilds the 2.0 air cooled with a bizzarely low compression ration (7:1 if that) and as a result the engine will likely last forever but is an utter DOG in a Westy Vanagon. I also note all my static compression figures have been only about 110 psi from day one, a bit low in my book, from the low compression ratio. Still I don't doubt it will reliably chug on till eternity. A couple more points, my gas mileage is horrendous, even by Westy Vanagon standards, about 14-15 mpg since new. Mileage in these things is largely a function of power and how much you got to keep it in lower gear to get around, and these numbers are around the hills of WV, a friend in DC gets about 16-17 mpg so no biggy there, BUT Mark Stephens claims exceptional mileage as a funtion of the exceptional power of their Stage 1 and 2 bus motors. The stock AVP or Stephens is about $1600, the Stage 1 Stephens is $2200, Stage 2 is $2500 when last I checked. Personally I would next time go with the Stephens Stage 1 if you intend to keep the van, the mileage will pay for itself many times over during the life of the van. The Stage 1 is stock displacement but the heads are worked over, it is zero decked, race balanced, etc. etc. A listee, Charles Webb has recently gone with a Stage 2 and last I heard was pleased with the engine but not particularly with Stephens service to the tee, he also thought the Stage 2 was a bit big for the stock injection. I've probably been equally annoyed with AVP, talked it up great at first, but I note when I made a minor comlaint via email about some "anomalies" later it got me nowhere, still I have had no real problems, I will be tearing it down myself in a month or so as it's parts are going into a couple different engines, I had only bought it in a rush for summer vacation last year, the van it is in will get a slightly older engine as I'm getting rid of the van. When I tear it down, I will post any explanations for the slight problems I've encountered (low power, need to run heavier oil than I feel warranted). All in all I'd rec either company from experience and heresay, but I'd go for the slighltly warmed over engine in an air cooled Vanagon Westy, you need it. As soon as Charles Webb's arm heals (he broke it I understand) he will likely give us all a better report on the Stephens engine, until then I'd still look towards them for the added power.

John vwbus@netbiz.net