Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Apr 1997 22:27:25 -0500
From:         DeRusha Cazelle Patterson <derusha@voy.net>
Subject:      Re:  running rich on Digijet

Hey,

Well, I made it to Nashville in my '87 w/ 9.1 Digijet (don't ask - it just is). The trip went smoothly with my newly rebuilt motor except for one thing:

The engine seems to be running rich (black sooty deposits in the tailpipe and bad gas mileage (14 mpg @ 65 - 70 mph....15 mph if I nurse it carefully @ 60 mph - I thought it should be around 18 mpg). When I let off the throttle it blows a puff of black smoke out the tailpipe. At the suggestion of my rebuilders I stopped in Las Cruces @ the local VW dealer there and they adjusted the mixture screw on my throttle valve to lean it out. They revved it several times and this seemed to get rid of the black smoke. However, farther down the road the black cloud on throttle rolloff came back. My MPG seemed to increase slightly but the tail pipe still showed the sooty black deposits.

Now. The 1.9 when I bought it had the OXS sensor disconnected so the rebuilders left it off explaining that it would run worse with it connected. I thought the OXS sensor told the injection computer if the mixture was too lean or rich and would allow it to compensate thus making it a good thing to have. Is my supposition wrong and the rebuilder's right? Should I rehook the OXS sensor and if I do will I have to do any adjusting?

All replies will have to be made to my sister's account above since I'm 2,000 miles from my computer for the time being.

TIA

Perry

'87 Vanagon