Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Apr 1997 05:54:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Garrick409@aol.com
Subject:      What's the definitive test for blown head gasket?

Hi All,

I've been worried about the head gaskets on my 84 Westy for some time now. It has 117K on it and the refill tank is fluctuating wildy. Sometimes it spews coolant on the pavement after a hard drive. It was seeping around the heads externally which stopped after putting in some Bars leak.

I had it pressure tested (is this a leakdown test) by a local VW shop (with a name like Harry and Gunther they have to be OK, right?) and it passed. They said pressure dropped only very slowly but was within specs. I also bought a block tester for about $35 at the FLAPS which tests for exhaust gases in the cooling system. I found it hard to use because the coolant kept on getting into the testing chamber. When I did get it to work the fluid turned aqua green from marine blue. A positive test is supposed to turn the fluid yellow.

Now I'm stuck. I passed on taking the Westy to Baja last week but sure would have liked to have had it there. I'm still very suspicious of a head gasket problem even though the above tests were OK or sorta OK. Is there anything else to do or check prior to pulling the heads? Have changed thermostat, water pump and expansiontank cap too. Any help appreciated.

Garrick Chang Davis, CA