Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:34:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@oit.umass.edu>
Subject:      Re: Curtains

After receiving no less than 8 requests for curtain measurements, I pulled out my little sheet of notes and tried to write up the following so that it (hopefully) makes sense to readers.

I made a set of "natural" colored "burlap" weave curtains for my '80 Westy, Frieda, shortly after buying her in 1988. Her original curtains shreaded when I washed them. I tried to find the same heavy material that they had been made of, but opted for the lighter onew instead. They let lots more light in in the morning! Easier to get up - and still provided privacy.

Westfalia Curtains for '80 -'91 models (I believe all are the same)

L1 R1 L1 R1 | =====x===== =====x===== ---- \ | \ | LR1 \ | | Front | | Wrap | RR1 / | / | =====x===== =========== ---- / R1 L1 SD

R1 + L1 = 1 Pair; make 3 pair each curtain measures 32"W x 26"L rough cut finished measurement = 30"W x 22 1/2"L

Rear: LR1 + RR1 = 1 Pair; make 1 pair each curtain measures 30"W x 28"L rough cut finished measurement = 28"W x 23 1/2"L

(the view -L,R- is from the inside out!)

Side Door: 62"W x 28"L

For all but the front, purchase 4.5 yds of 54" material as a minimum. 5 yards of wider material is helpful. Use medium to heavy weight "burlap" type material. Presoak/wash in water and vinegar to set color and preshrink. Line dry. (Use just a reasonable amount of white vinegar!)

Lay out 5-32"W x 26"L pieces across top length and 1-32"W x 26"L piece, 2-30"W x 28"L pieces and 1- 62"W x 28"L piece along the bottom length. Cut out and hem pieces to provide double fold-over sides and double fold over edges for finish of top and bottom to run on metal runners, or finish bottom edges.

(Make sure that you provide about 3/4-1" 'space' for rod to run through at top and some bottom edges. Sew ends over first - then make top and bottom folds so that rod can run through top or bottom of panel.)

Use velcro for 2 evenly spaced 1" strips to hold center edges closed for privacy. Use thin elastic in bottom of side door curtain.

Front curtain is a little more tricky! Measures (finished) 10' 10"W x 271/2" L. Add enough material (11' W x 30"L approx.) to provide hem with 3/4" doubled over band at top and sides and 1/2" at bottom. Requires snaps to match those installed in van - or glue velcro to van and sew to curtain to match. Requires elastic in top to gather and hold in place. Be carful to measure your van's front window span and allow extra width to fit.

Have Fun! They really are rather simple to make!

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Assistant Director Human Dimensions of Resource Management Office of Information Technologies Department of Forestry & Help Desk Services Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203